In this Korean name, the family name is Hong.
- "You picked the wrong guy to mess with."
- — Yun-seong
Hong Yun-Seong (ホン・ユンスン, Hon Yunsun; Hanja: 洪 潤星, Hangul: 홍윤성) is a fictional character in the Soul series of fighting games. His debut was in the third installment of the series, Soulcalibur II, and he subsequently appeared in Soulcalibur III, Soulcalibur IV and Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny. He is a spunky and young warrior with a fighting style inspired by Hwang Seong-gyeong, his predecessor and the previous Chinese Sword wielder in the series. He is nicknamed "The Patriot of The Flashing Leg"
What lies in his soul is Pride.
As a child, Yun-seong had idolized Hwang Seong-gyeong. However, he was no longer a personal hero, but a goal to surpass. Yun-seong wished more than anything to challenge him to a duel. One day, news reached the Seong Dojang that Hwang was returning from his long journey. Yun-seong saw this as the perfect opportunity to force him to acknowledge his fighting skills, personally entertaining the idea of becoming stronger than his former hero all along. However, his challenge was rejected as Hwang was more occupied with attempting to rejoin the military to help defend Korea in the impending invasion by Japan. Seong Mi-na, daughter of the dojang's owner, saw this brooding student of her father bitterly angry on account of the rejection of his challenge and handed him a Seong family heirloom: the dao White Storm that, according to legend, possessed the ability to reflect the innermost thoughts of those who wielded the blade. That night, Yun-seong studied the image of himself in the dao and reflected, leading him to the self-realizations that it was foolish to challenge Hwang for personal reasons as Korea was in a state of peril and that if he could obtain the "Sword of Salvation" that Hwang had failed to find, Yun-seong would finally be recognized and his challenge would be accepted. He immediately packed his belongings, took the dao, and left the dojang in pursuit of the "Sword of Salvation", unaware that Seong Mi-na would soon embark on a journey to bring him back home.
During his journey, Yun-seong heard rumors that the "Sword of Salvation" was an evil sword. He arrived in a village inhabited by children who survived a war between neighboring nations over a fragment of Soul Edge that resulted in the destruction of a fortress city where they once lived. He announced that he was searching for Soul Edge, and was greeted happily by the children, except one --Talim, who told him about the dangers of the sword. The children's leader, a sick boy, was startled when the sword was mentioned. Thinking that he knew something, Yun-seong waited for an opportunity to question the boy.
But the opportunity never came, for the boy would always avoid him. Talim tried to treat the boy, but to no avail. Seeing her disheartened, Yun-seong would talk to Talim every chance he could get, and she started to lighten up towards him. As the boy's condition deteriorated, Talim announced she would try a drastic treatment, but the boy refused. Yun-seong stopped him from arguing with Talim and spoke to him alone.
The boy told Yun-seong that he was the son of the lord of the fortress city, who went insane when he obtained a fragment of Soul Edge. He performed terrible human experiments, using his own son as a test subject, resulting in the dark energy within the boy's body. The neighboring cities attacked and the lord was killed, while the boy rescued the children who were going to be used as test subjects. After hearing his story, Yun-seong handed the boy his dao, White Storm, telling him of its ability to show what lies inside the heart of whoever holds it. The boy looked into the blade and thanked Yun-seong.
After the ritual, Talim left the village, but Yun-seong went after her, still having a few unanswered questions. Before he left, the boy told Yun-seong that the wielder of Soul Edge, Nightmare, was in the lands of the west. Yun-seong set out to find out the truth about Soul Edge.
Eventually, Yun-seong caught up with Talim and the two of them continued their journey together. They came across an Egyptian temple that was destroyed, and Yun-seong became more convinced that Soul Edge does exist. Then Seong Mi-na found them, and she told him the Soul Edge will not protect their homeland. Yun-seong had a feeling that she will drag him back home, so he left her and Talim while they were asleep.
As he got nearer to Ostrheinsburg, he encountered Hwang, who also told him that Soul Edge was evil. However, Hwang did not stop Yun-seong from continuing with his quest, allowing the young warrior to find out for himself. As the two of them go their own ways, Yun-seong carried on with faith in his strength.
"I don't care if the sword is evil... I will protect my country with its power!" Thus he convinced through the battles, but as he reached for Soul Edge, he stopped. Returning quickly to his home, Yun-seong toiled feverishly to protect his homeland. He no longer needed the Sword of Salvation, for he believed in himself.
Yun-seong faces the evil sword, Soul Edge. He reaches out for the sword, but when he touches it, he is instantly shocked. He then stumbles backwards and falls onto the floor. Yun-seong gets back up on his feet, and begins to walk back up to Soul Edge. A basket of food and his sword lay on the floor on either side of him.Input Ending Yun-seong chooses to pick up the basket of food, but as he reaches for it, Seong Mi-na knocks him out from behind. The screen fades, and then shows Yun-seong carrying very large bags as punishment for his actions. "Yun-seong, that sword is evil. With something like that, you'll never be able to obtain true power." Seong Mi-na says as she monitors Yun-seong. Yun-seong replies by saying that he understood, and then asks for some help with the bags, but Seong Mi-na refuses to help. "You need to learn a lesson." Seong Mi-na says. "Now walk faster!"
No Input Ending Yun-seong chooses to pick up his sword. He then strikes Soul Edge, completely shattering it. The screen then fades to white, and then shows Yun-seong walking over a bridge in a beautiful valley. He realizes that he does not know what he was truly looking for, and that he does not need that evil sword to become stronger.
Yun-seong picks up Soul Edge and holds it in his hands and exclaims triumphantly, "It's mine at last! Soul Edge!" Suddenly it begins to glow very brightly, causing Yun-seong to shield his eyes. As the light fades, Seong Mi-na's voice can be heard saying "Why do you fight, Yun-seong? In order to win, or is it for justice?" As he kneels down and looks up into the sky, he replies by saying "No... I-I'm just trying to protect my homeland, and the people that I love!" "Then what are you doing?" Seong Mi-na says softly. Yun-Seong quickly looks down and becomes instantly shocked. He was not clenching Soul Edge anymore, but Seong Mi-na's throat. She then manages to utter, "Is this what you call justice?" She then closes her eyes, which gives an impression that she has "died". "No! What have I... What have I done?!" a panicked Yun-Seong yells as he cradles Seong Mi-na's limp body.
The screen fades to black, then shows Yun-Seong leaving the tower with a lively Seong Mi-na on his back. Yun-Seong asks her why she was "playing possum." "Oh, be quiet! I just passed out for a second," replies Seong Mi-na. The two laugh, and begin their long journey home.
The text-only epilogue reads as follows: He acquired something much more important than power. He will now return home, much older than he was before.
Yun-seong's fighting style is typically made of quick kicking combos reminiscent of taekwondo, mixed in with short, but strong and quick sword strike techniques. He can also be quite acrobatic with his kicks. The speed of his kick attacks are some of the quickest in the game and some of his sword techniques do a great deal of damage. However, some players complain that he is "cheap", being able to perform a quick succession of devastating combos by just button-mashing and repeating certain combos over and over. Although, he is a low to mid-tier character, he can be devastating in the right hands. Also, Yun-seong can build up momentum in combat, so it can be very difficult to stop him. There are some who do complain of his moveset, but this has mainly arose from the players relying mainly on sword techniques. It should be emphasized that his kicks are really his main weapon. Some also claim that Yun-seong's sword techniques are too slow, although in comparison to most other characters it's quite average.
Like other characters, Yun-seong has a different stance. It is called "The Crane" stance, which is an important element in fighting as, or against, Yun-seong. In previous games, like Soulcalibur III, the stance was performed by pushing 2 buttons at once (vertical attack + kick), or by simply holding the attack button down after certain attacks. The stance in Soulcalibur III was only active for a short time, and players had to react quickly to perform attacks. That fact changed in Soulcalibur IV, making it possible to stay in "Crane" as long as needed. Like other stances, "Crane" has lots of different attack options. From horizontal attacks, to quick low kicks, but also medium kicks. Many of these attacks are also combo material, making the "Crane" very deadly, and unpredictable. As last, but seriously, not the least, the "Crane" has an auto-dodge. When in "Crane" stance, the player can't be hit by Vertical Attacks (Unblockables not included). When the opponent strikes with a Vertical Attack, Yun-seong will automatically dodge the attack, and counters the attack, with a quick mid kick (only when the opponent is in range, so it may not always work against characters like Kilik/Seong-Mina). Also, when the mid kick hits, and the player quickly pushes the kick button, and the second kick connects, an Attack-Throw will follow, making Yun-seong jump up is enemy, and kicking him against the ground. This is very handy when fighting characters like Mitsurugi, or other characters, who attack with Vertical Attack a lot.
- White Storm
- Xiao Lian
- Giant Butcher Knife
- Cheng Ying
- Blue Thunder
- Soul Edge (Chinese Sword)
- Soul Edge (Complete) Yun-seong
- Han Guang
- Child's Sword
- Dragon Sword
- Qing Long
- The Ancient (Yun-seong)
- Imperial Capital Ayutthaya (SC2)
- Egyptian Temple (SC3)
- Egyptian Temple, Sacred Flame (SC4)
- Egyptian Temple - Sand Cloud (SCBD)
- "Destiny Awaits No One"
- "Call Of The Ancients"
- "Indomitable Warrior"
Tower Of Lost Souls Skills & Details
Yun-seong so far has only made a minor appearance in the Tower of Lost Souls mode on the ascend path, only appearing in the floor challenge "Unfailing Tower."
Skills On Unfailing Tower
1.HP Recovery B
2.Auto Grapple Break B
Descend Mode Skills
2.Double Edged Sword
2.Start Dash C
- "All right! I'm getting pumped up!"
- "I'm not gonna let up for a second!"
- "Okay,let's give it a go!"
- "Quit you yapping and let's get this fight started!"
- "All right, now we're talkin'!"
- "Oh yeah! Let's go!"
- "You ready to go down? Let's go!
- "I don't like... the look in your eyes."
- "Ha ha ha! You look like an idiot!"
- "Huh? What are you a salamander?"
- "U...um, l...let's have a good match.
- "Let's go!"
- "All right, let's do this!"
- "I've been itchin' for a fight!"
- "Talk is cheap...let's get this on!"
- "Come and get some!"
- "You're goin' down!"
- "I was looking for a fight!"
- "Wanna see... just how strong I am?"
- "You seriously wanna fight?"
- "Geezers and kiddies should stay home!"
- "This is your last shot to call it quits!"
- "All right, let's start this!
- "I'm getting pumped!"
- "You don't wanna die, do ya?"
- "Anytime you're ready!"
- "Not done yet!... Heh, I guess you are."
- "Damn, I'm just way too good! Huh?"
- "Heh heh...That won't work on me!"
- "Dammit, that really hurt!"
- "That's what you get... for messing with me!"
- "These skills... it's all talent."
- "That was nothin'! There's more where that came from!"
- "Maybe that was too much..you all right?"
- "You're pretty good. I'm really impressed."
- "I just don't feel like losing today, you know?"
- "Just to let you know, I'm not gonna lose today, all right?"
- "Hurry up and get back up here! You're still not done right?" (Ring Out)
- "Heh, that was totally worthless."
- "You wanted a fight, so I gave you a fight."
- "Come on.. that was totally a joke."
- "All right! No problem!"
- "That was too easy!"
- "A waste of time! Come back when you're ready!"
- "Haaa! That was great!"
- "That was a sorry fight!"
- "That's all you've got? That was boring!"
- "Not bad, not bad."
- "That's it? I hardly broke a sweat!"
- "I couldn't have asked for more!"
- "It's a matter of skill!"
- "Yeah, I'm unstoppable!"
- "I'm on fire!"
- "That was incredible!"
- "We can do this.. as many times as you like."
- "It doesn't matter how many you bring! There's no one else, right?"
- "You know what? You're not half bad lookin'."
- "I gotta say, I'm much better looking."
- "You picked the wrong guy... to mess with!."
- "We can do this a thousand times... if you like."
- "Did you get... a taste of my strength?"
- "You ready?!"
- "Over here!"
- "Get outta here!"
- "Too slow!"
- "Hee ha!"
- "Hurry up... and lose!"
- "Outta the way!"
- "Here's more!"
- "And another!"
- "Is that all you've got?"
- "You want me to hold back a bit?" (Taunt)
- "Gimme a break!"
- "What's up with that?!"
- "Heh, this should be fun! You're gonna regret this!"
- "I wanna find out... for myself!"
- "Enemy of my country... prepare yourself!"
- "I'm gonna break... that sword of yours!"
- "This is... what I look like?"
- "What I've been looking for isn't here after all."
- "I wasn't able to truly see... what it is that I was looking for."
- "No maybe...I was just in denial of the truth."
- "Even without that sword, I'm going to become stronger... I know I will."
- "All right, I got it! Now come on, can you do something about this?"
- "Piece of cake!" (after being selected by player 1 in the character select.)
- "Want some of this?" (after being selected by player 2 in the character select.)
- "Alright, I'm getting pumped up!"
- "Come on! I was just getting warmed up!" (spoken after executing a "Perfect!".)
- "I'm not gonna let up for a second."
- "What's wrong, giving up already?"
- "This is your last shot to call it quits."
- "You picked the wrong guy to mess with."
- "Quit your yapping and let's get this fighting started!"
- "A battle of wills, huh? I won't lose."
- "Huh? What is this?!"
- "It doesn't matter how many you got! Just bring it on!"
- "Sorry, you know I can't do that." (spoken to Seong Mi-na in his Story Mode.)
- "I want to find out for myself."
- "That was really close."
- "Like hell! You're the one in my way!" (spoken to Siegfried in Story Mode.)
- "Ideals are meaningless without power!"
- "That power is mine! Hand over Soul Edge!"
- "You're gonna have to throw down that blade!" (Spoken to Mitsurugi in his Story Mode.)
- "No one can stop me now!"
- "It's mine at last!"
- "Soul Edge!"
- "N-no! I-I'm just trying to protect my homeland, and the people I love!"
- "No! What have I... what have I done?!"
- "So, why were you playing possum like that?" (spoken to Seong Mi-na, in his ending.)
- "Eat this!"
- "And another!"
- "I'm on fire!"
- "All or nothing!"
- "How's THIS?!"
- "Here's more!"
- "Come on, don't chicken out!" (When taunting)
- "Alright this is it!" (When taunting)
- "Is that all you got?" (When taunting)
- "Yeah, this is it!" (before critical finish)
- "Fly high!"
- "Hong Style Prime Strike!" (in the middle of a critical finish)
- "Yeah! Burn baby burn!" (after critical finish).
- Yun-seong is nicknamed "The Patriot of the Flashing Leg".
- His costume seems to be more revealing in every next game where he is playable. In Soulcalibur II, he wears a white costume that reveals his abdomen, in Soulcalibur III, he wears a green unbuttoned shirt that reveals his chest, and in Soulcalibur IV, he is completely shirtless.
- In Soulcalibur II Reloaded, one of Yun-seong's costumes looks like Sora from the Kingdom Hearts series. They even designed his sword to look like a miniature version of the Keyblade. His other costumes resemble Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII and Ken Masters from the Street Fighters series.
- In Soulcalibur II's Weapon Master Mode, Yun-Seong portrays Bastian.
- In Soulcalibur III's "Tales of Souls", Yun-seong's Destined Battle is against Mitsurugi, but it is against Seong Mi-na in Quick Play. He is her Destined Battle in both modes.
- In Soulcalibur III's "Chronicles of the Sword" mode, Yun-seong's weapons and moveset can be used as a level 30 thief, along with Tira.
- In Soulcalibur IV's Story Mode, after he defeats Seong Mi-na, Talim, and Sophitia on the second stage, Seong Mi-na accompanies him for the rest of his journey.
- In Soulcalibur IV, one notable fact is that Yun-seong's ending is considered happier and better than the ending of Seong Mi-na, because in her ending they both fight to the death and in contrast of Yun-seong's ending, they both return together happily back to their home in Korea.
- In Angol Fear's Story Mode in Soulcalibur IV, after she defeats Yun-seong, Talim, and Seong Mi-na, Angol Fear captures Yun-seong as a specimen of earth. But then he manages to run away from her after the third stage. This may have caused Yun-seong to become the "Afterglow of the Universe" ingredient in Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny, which was needed for a cure to save Hilde's father.
- In Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny, he is said to have been abducted by aliens. This is non-canon, however.
- Yun-Seong's Japanese voice actor also voices Hwoarang in Street Fighter X Tekken.
- Yun-Seong's 2P costume in Soulcalibur III was originally going to be based on Hwang as shown in the concept art, but it was changed due to the return of Hwang as a bonus character.
- In Soulcalibur V, Yun-seong, Rock, Talim and Zasalamel, are the only characters not to appear and not to have a successor to replace them.
- Yun-seong's favorite color is orange.
- Yun-seong uses some of Hwoarang's kicking moves from the Tekken series. He also uses Jin Kazama's "Double Lift Kick", but it is renamed "Double Hawk Kick". Yun-seong shares many other traits with Hwoarang as well. Both were born in Korea, both have red hair and both have very similiar personalities. He also has similar kicking moves with Baek Doo San.
- Friend of Seong Mi-na.
- Friend of Hwang.
- Student of Seong Han-myeong whom he was trained and raised by, before the events of Soulcalibur II.
- Travel companion and friend of Talim since the beginning of Soulcalibur III. Shares a Destined Battle with her in Soulcalibur II.
- Considers Mitsurugi to be "the enemy of [his] country" because he's a samurai. He is Yun-seong's Destined Battle in Soulcalibur III.
- Soulcalibur II (as Yunsung)
- Soulcalibur III (Playable character)
- Soulcalibur IV (Unlockable character, if bought in Character Creation mode for 4000 gold)
- Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny (Playable character)
His debut in Soulcalibur II had him wearing a sleeveless vest that ended near his stomach, and white pants tied on with a red belt. His abs and navel were revealed in this suit. In Soulcalibur III, he had on a green jacket left unbuttoned, with dark pants that ended between his knees and his ankles. In Soulcalibur IV, he is completely shirtless with a Juok Chaplet (a green and red necklace) around his neck, as well as having several tattoos that are laid out on his arms and shoulders. His 2P costume is vaguely reminiscent of his Soulcalibur II costume, in which his hair is uncovered and he has a sleeveless Noble Shirt and pants. However, the shirt has an embellished dragon upon it and is black with red feathers where the sleeves would normally appear.
Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny
Universal Fighting System
|Main characters in the Soul series|
|Aeon Calcos | Algol | Amy | Astaroth (original, mass produced) | Cassandra | Cervantes | Charade | Dampierre | Edge Master | Hilde | Hwang | Ivy | Kilik | Leixia | Li Long | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Natsu | Necrid | Olcadan | Patroklos (α Patroklos) | Pyrrha (Pyrrha Ω) | Raphael | Rock | Seong Han Myeong | Seong Mi-na | Setsuka | Siegfried | Sophitia | Soul Calibur (Elysium) | Soul Edge (Inferno, Nightmare, Night Terror) | Taki | Talim | Tira | Viola | Voldo | Xianghua | Xiba | Yoshimitsu (First, Second) | Yun-seong | Zasalamel (Abyss) | Z.W.E.I.|