Xiba, as he appears in Soulcalibur V.
|Birthplace||Ming Empire (present-day China) - grew up on Zhen Hang Mountain|
|Birthdate||April 20, 1592|
|Age||16 (Soulcalibur V)|
|Weight||114 lbs. (51kg)|
|Weapon name||Three Karmas|
|Fighting style||Secrets arts of the Ling-Sheng Su Style Rod|
|Family||Master and estranged grandfather, Kong Xiuqiang|
Estranged grandmother, Chai Xiangfei(deceased)
Travels with Maxi, Leixia and Natsu
He is beloved by the villagers who live at the foot of Zhen Hang Mountain.
Estranged mother, Xianghua
Estranged father, Kilik
Half sister, Leixia (doesn't know)
Half brother, Leixin (doesn't know)
|Appears in||Soulcalibur V|
|First game||Soulcalibur V|
|English voice actor||Johnny Yong Bosch|
|Japanese voice actor||Toshiyuki Toyonaga|
- "If food is on the line, I better win this!"
- — Xiba
Xiba (シバ, Shiba; Chinese: 希霸, Pinyin: Xī Bà) is a character in the Soul series of fighting games. His first appearance was in the series' sixth installment, Soulcalibur V. He is also the spiritual successor of Kilik in the Soul series as the staff wielding character.
In promotional material for Soulcalibur V, he is referred to as an Honest Young Man.
Pre Calibur History
Kilik and Xianghua separated before Xianghua gave birth to Xiba. As a result, Xiba has never met his father. What's more, he isn't even aware of the fact that Xianghua is his mother.
When Xianghua returned to her homeland, her grandfather forced her into an arranged marriage. She begged her father, Mast Kong Xiuqiang, to raise her newborn son Xiba. He acquiesced, but Xiba and Xianghua are only allowed to see each other once a year.
In an ironic twist of fate, Xiba learned Kilik's fighting style from Kong Xiuqiang. He took to the staff with aplomb, and soon began merging the formal arts of Ling-Sheng Su Secret Arts of the Rod with his own self-taught fighting techniques.
Xiba grew up in the mountains with his master, and he has very little knowledge of society. His education is limited to martial arts, but his natural instincts are very finely honed. He thinks quickly on his feet, making major decisions in a matter of seconds. He doesn't approach others with suspicion, due to his pure heart. The mountain village he grew up in was full of kind men and women who treated him like a treasured member of their own family. Due to their influence, he doesn't mind being an orphan and retains a positive outlook on life.
Four travelers plodded through the vast desert wastes of the northeast Mughal Empire:
The wild boy Xiba, on a quest to inherit the Kali-Yuga, one of the three sacred treasures; Maxi, sent to accompany Xiba by an old man named Edge Master; Leixia, guided by a pendant with a curious blue stone; and Natsu, Leixia's friend and bodyguard. The four had become companions on their journey to the west.
"Maxi! I'm hungry!"
Xiba leaned heavily into his rod, his stomach rumbling loudly.
"We just ate!" shouted Leixia, but Maxi gave her a calm smile and ruffled the young woman's hair.
"I hear they have great steam buns in the next town, Xiba," he said.
As Leixia blushed, Xiba leapt up, suddenly reinvigorated and raring to go. Natsu could only shake her head and sigh.
What destiny would await this misfit crew at the end of their grueling journey?
It didn't matter to Xiba - not now, anyway. All he cared about was getting to the next town and those steam buns...
Not much is known of his personality except that he loves to eat. Aside from having quite the appetite, Xiba is easy-going and friendly; when fighting, he doesn't show too much aggression as he tries to have fun. Underneath this goofy persona lies a pure heart of gold. While Leixia disregards him as clueless and idiotic, Xiba is a fast thinker and is more intelligent than he appears, creating his own fighting style that suits him. He never seems to be offended by his companion's insults, another reference to his naturally positive personality. Due to his pure spirit, and that he is unaware that he inherited the Evil Seed from his father, Xiba is content with being an orphan.</p>
Xiba has dark red hair and brown eyes. He is quite short for a male; standing at only 5’5”. In confliction with his love of food, Xiba is quite fit and is moderately muscular due to his intense training. His facial features slightly resemble his father Kilik, if one looks closely.
He sports a blue jaded pendant around his neck, and wears an unbuttoned black shirt with
his master's family name on the back, arm protectors, a tiger-pelted jacket wrapped around his waist, and yellow trousers.
Xiba also walks around barefoot for an unknown reason and wears a gold anklet.
- Three Karmas
- Guanyin Rod
- Rhombus Rod
- God's Lost Article
- Jingu Staff
- The Master (Xiba)
Kong's Dance of Qi Tian Da Sheng: Knocks his opponent into the air with his rod, and then delivers a midair kick combo (three kicks), and strikes them down with his rod.
- I'm hungry... — Taunt
- Steam buns... — Taunt
- Let's go!
- If food is on the line, I better win this!
- So if I beat you, you'll give me some food?! - spoken when engaging in battle against Leixia or Natsu.
- Hey, Maxi! You better fight me this time! - spoken when engaging in battle against Maxi.
- Training makes me hungry, I don't wanna! - spoken when engaging in battle against Kilik or Edge Master.
- Hey! How's it going?
- Blast off!
- Go big or go home!
- I'm angry now!
- Here we go!
- Take this!
- I know!
- Over here!
- Check it out!
- Want some?
- My bad!
- All mine!
- How's this?!
- One down!
- Can't... Move... - spoken when KO'd by Ivy's "Embrace of Guilt"
- Oh, yeah!
- Go away!
- You'll pay! - Spoken during Yoshimitsu's Critical Edge
- Ow! - Spoken during Algol's Sadalsuud Markab
- Going big!
- That was easy! Jeez, I wasn't even trying!
- Man, do I love me some steam buns! Oh yeah!
- Ohh...I'm starving up here..
- That was a lot of fun!
- It's shaking?!- spoken when hit by a tremor.
- Oh man, your moves are pretty sweet! You want a rematch? — Spoken after defeating Maxi.
- Now bring me some steam buns. Lots of them! - spoken after defeating Natsu or Leixia.
- You know, I eat way better than I fight! - spoken after defeating Kilik or Edge Master.
- So hungry! - Spoken when knocked out by Maxi.
- I fell again?! —spoken during ring out
- Doesn't hurt. — Spoken during "Guard Burst".
- I'm...serious! - spoken during Critical Edge against an "Evil" character
- I'm so... full! - spoken during Critical Edge against a "Good" character
- Victory and...food! - spoken during Critical Edge against Leixia, Natsu, or Maxi
- I won't... lose! - spoken during Critical Edge against Kilik or Edge Master
- Food!!! - spoken when knocked out.
- There's other good stuff to eat? - spoken in story mode to Leixia
- Huh? Um, this is the uh... dva-uh... Dvapara-Yuga? - spoken in story mode to α Patroklos
- Ugh, does it really matter? - spoken in story mode to Leixia
- Oh! He can buy us dinner! - spoken in story mode to Leixia
- Oh man, I so don't like that sword. - spoken in story mode when engaging a battle with α Patroklos
- Just feed me first! spoken when timed out by Maxi
- Leixia, I need food! - spoken when timed out by Leixia.
- More...Need...Food! - spoken when timed out
Theme MusicSoulcalibur V
- "A High-Spirited Tiger"
- For a period of time, Project Soul withheld information about Xiba's family from the English speaking players. This information appeared on every other language version of his profile except for the English one. It did not appear in the Collector's Edition artbook, however was included in the Japanese official artbook. The reason for this is unknown. Recently, information of Xiba's heritage was added to the English site, including his full name: Chai Xiba.
- Although Xiba is Kilik's son, his personality is different from his father's as Kilik has a serious and wisdom-like personality whereas Xiba is goofy, easy-going, and joyful. But Xiba's personality is more likely from his mother Xianghua, as she has a bright and childish spirit.
- Xiba is the successor of both Kilik and Seong Mi-na as his fighting style combines key elements from their styles. His goofy personality, however, is reminiscent of Yun-seong. Coincidentally, Seong Mi-na was trained by Kong Xiuqiang, who is Xiba's grandfather and teacher. Kilik was trained at the Ling Sheng-Su Temple, which is where Kong Xiuqiang had studied prior to being expelled from the temple.
- Xiba seems to be inspired by the character Sun Wukong, the Monkey King, from the classical Chinese novel Journey to the West. Ironically as the title goes, Xiba, Maxi, Leixia and Natsu all traveled to the west on a journey to find and save Kilik. Also, Xiba is depicted constantly being hungry, which is a nod towards another Monkey-King character, Son Goku. This constant hunger may also be a representation of the Monkey King himself, as in Journey to the West, he breaks into Heaven and eats lots of food prepared for the gods.
- Xiba, along with Siegfried in Soul Blade, are the shortest playable male characters in the Soulcalibur universe to date, standing at 5'5", whereas Siegfried was 5'2" in his debut and both were 16 years of age.
- His favorite food is manjū (steam buns).
- Xiba being barefoot may be a nod to how most martial artists train shoeless.
- Xiba's titles in Quick Battle are Supernova and Ling-Sheng Su Master.
- His outfit is tiger themed, however most of his attacks seem to be based on a Wushu staff style that is associated with monkeys (Hou Gun). The reason that his clothing may be tiger themed is because of his design is inspired by Sun Wukong the Monkey King, who is depicted wearing "tiger-themed" clothing in some artworks.
- Xiba has his master's family name (孔) written on his back. Additionally, in both Japanese and Chinese, it can be translated as "hole".
- Xiba's alternative costume in Soulcalibur V resembles Kilik's Soulcalibur III costume, the only differences are, the jacket is more torn at the bottom, the sleeves are shorter, & his pants are tucked in to his boots, as opposed to Kilik wearing his pant legs over them. Also, his hair was recolored brown to look more like Kilik.
- In one of his moves, Xiba yells "Blast off!" This may be a reference to the Devil May Cry character Nero, who is also voiced, as well as motion captured, by Xiba's English voice actor (and former black Power Ranger), Johnny Yong Bosch.
- Humorously, he is the only character to forget what his weapon is called and confuse it for somebody else's.
- In Episode 15 for Soulcalibur V's story mode, Xiba uses the Kali-Yuga, the same weapon as his father.
- Xiba 1P in Soulcalibur V was designed by Takuji Kawano, and 2P was designed by Daisuke Tsushima.
- On the Soulcalibur official website, Xiba's profile states that his weapon name is San Ye Gun.
- Travels with Maxi, Natsu and Leixia.
- On a quest to inherit the Kali-Yuga from Kilik.
- Estranged son of Xianghua and Kilik. Half brother of Leixia and Leixin. His awareness of these family ties is unlikely, as it isn't hinted in any of the game's dialogue.
- Estranged grandson of Kong Xiuqiang who also trained him.
- Trained by Edge Master for half a year prior to being given his quest.
- Is repeatably picked on by Natsu so that the latter might relieve stress.
- Soulcalibur V (Playable Character)
|Main characters in the Soul series|
|Aeon Calcos | Algol | Amy | Astaroth (Original, Mass Produced) | Cassandra | Cervantes | Charade | Dampierre | Edge Master | Hilde | Hwang | Ivy | Kilik | Leixia | Li Long | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Natsu | Necrid | Olcadan | Patroklos (α Patroklos) | Pyrrha (Pyrrha Ω) | Raphael | Rock | Seong Han Myeong | Seong Mi-na | Setsuka | Siegfried | Sophitia | Soul Calibur (Elysium) | Soul Edge (Inferno, Nightmare, Night Terror) | Taki | Talim | Tira | Viola | Voldo | Xianghua | Xiba | Yoshimitsu (First, Second) | Yun-seong | Zasalamel (Abyss) | Z.W.E.I.|