Viola, as she appears in Soulcalibur V.
|Real Name||She doesn't remember|
|Birthplace||A place of roses and lilies|
|Birthdate||Day of prayer to Vesta|
|Age||24 Tri-color stars|
|Height||5'3" (161 cm)|
|Weight||108 lbs. (49 kg)|
|Blood type||Twisted strings of red and blue|
|Weapon name||Quattuor Orbis|
|Fighting style||Ars Planetarum|
|Family||She doesn't remember, but travelling with Z.W.E.I. for now.|
|Appears in||Soulcalibur V|
|First game||Soulcalibur V|
|English voice actor||Heather Hogan-Watson|
|Japanese voice actor||Hitomi Nabatame|
- "I am empty, but you are emptier, still."
- — Viola
Viola (ヴィオラ, Viora) is a character in the Soul series. She is a fortune teller making her debut appearance in Soulcalibur V. She is travelling with Z.W.E.I. Viola suffers from amnesia and does not remember neither her origins nor her past life.
She uses a floating magic orb as her primary weapon.
In Soulcalibur V's promotional material, she is referred to as Who is She?.
In her appearance, Viola is a young woman with red eyes and white curled hair. The purple dress she is wearing has a similar silhouette to Amy's dress in Soulcalibur IV and also seems to be gothic inspired. Viola's laced stockings have a pattern that shows a moth trapped in a cobweb. Over her body, she is wearing an aubergine-colored hooded cape that splits down the middle. Roses are a recurring motif in her costume as well. She wears elongated, claw-like armor rings on four fingers of her right hand.
Viola initially awoke in the middle of a ravaged town, located deep within a forest. She could remember nothing about herself, all she had was a mysterious orb by her side. While she knows nothing of the orb's origins, she keeps it close, believing it to be the key to remembering her past...
At some point, she met a group of travelers who were on a pilgrimage. From them, she was taught the skill of reading the stars.
In the heart of a bustling city, Viola quietly plied her trade. She wouldn't stay there long—she didn't stay anywhere long; fortune-telling can be a dangerous occupation when you actually tell the truth.
By peering into her crystal ball, Viola could see deep within a person's soul. But of herself, she knew nothing at all.
"Why am I here? What is my purpose?"
The harsh truths of Viola's predictions always led to hatred and resentment, so she lived as a nomad, traveling from one city to the next. She refused to follow custom and simply tell her patrons what she knew they wanted to hear. Her own memories were so barren that she couldn't empathize with other people—they didn't even feel real to her.
The one exception was Z.W.E.I. They were kindred spirits, he said, both of them blessed and burdened with inhuman powers that forced them to journey through life alone.
As traveling companions, they made for an odd pair: a werewolf and a fortune-teller, both with pasts shrouded in mystery. Their journey would continue for some time, until Viola's lost memories returned...
Viola is portrayed as a cold, indifferent woman. Her demeanor is both dark and ominous and she doesn't seem to care about anything or anyone. She has a grim outlook on life, as seen in her quotes. She is able to see glimpses of the future, hence some of her lines (i.e. "As I thought", "I failed to see this!", "Why couldn't I stop you?!").
Viola is able to use her orb in a passive or an active way. She can place the orb around the stage and call it back to her in a way that the orb hits the opponent, sometimes coming from underneath and tripping the opponent. The orb's placement is also important for her Critical Edge, as the attack will take place wherever the orb is.
When she fights using her orb, her attacks deal a good amount of damage, but only few of them can be chained to make a combo. Her throws while holding the orb are notably damaging.
In her Orb-less stance, Viola fights using hand-to-hand combat. Her claws act only slightly as a weapon (noted by the slashing sound they make) but are mostly an accessory. This drastically reduces her range and damage dealt to opponents while using basic attacks. However, her attacks are more precise, and this stance also presents an opportunity to create some combos as she can call back her orb which can deal additional damage to the opponent.
Much like with the character she is speculated to be, Amy, Viola relies rather heavily on mix-ups with her orb, her speed, her vertical attacks and momentum combined with pressure to deal some dangerous damage as even her basic and somewhat more advanced combos don't take off that much health from the enemy. Her Critical Edge, now shown to be useful, is best used when the opponent is on the ground, to punish a whiffed attack, or if the opponent is far enough to give way for its slow startup. It will gravitate the opponent towards the placement of the orb and generally gives Viola some free attacks.
Viola is one of the few characters that can be used to exploit and defeat high-level AI opponents.
Viola also possesses an infinite revolving around her back throw (aka "The Back-Throw Infinite"), which was discovered by Japanese fighting game legend, Hajime "Tokido" Taniguchi. The use of this infinite is banned from offline competitive Soulcalibur V tournaments in accordance with the official 8WayRun rule set.
Arcanum Azarael: This attack connects only if the orb is near the opponent. Viola will say "Time for bed... Now sleep forever", as a magical seal appears behind her and she casts a spell. The orb will start to glow and pull Viola's opponent near it in a stun-like manner. The attack itself does not deal substantial damage but it leaves the opponent open for combos.
- Unknown Forest (SCV)
- "Wandering Seer"
- "Dance of the Oracle"
- Flee before you destroy yourself.
- The moon is red... red like wine.
- In the moon, I see everything.
- Do we have to fight? - spoken when engaging in a battle against Z.W.E.I.
- You have a bad habit of going easy - spoken when lost by time out to Z.W.E.I.
- The sands are fading. - spoken when timed out.
- Guide me.
- Stop this.
- You want it?
- Spider.- spoken when grappling Voldo when the orb is set.
- Fiend. - spoken when grappiling Nightmare when the orb is set.
- Dog. - spoken when grappling Patroklos when the orb is set.
- You lack... Focus.
- Pierce... through!
- The stars... will shine.
- The moon... shall fall.
- No use in... Hiding! - spoken while performing back grapple on Ezio Auditore or custom character.
- Fall... Blue moon! - spoken while performing back grapple on Siegfried, Alpha Patroklos.
- Fall... Full moon! - spoken while performing back grapple on Dampierre, Aeon, Xiba, Hilde, Natsu, Leixia, Patroklos, Mitsurugi, Maxi, Yoshimitsu.
- Fall... New moon! - spoken while performing back grapple on Astaroth, Nightmare, Raphael, Elysium.
- Fall...Crimson moon! - spoken while performing back grapple on Voldo, Tira, Cervantes, Ivy, Pyrrha, Pyrrha Omega.
- Fall...Crescent moon! - spoken while performing back grapple on Z.W.E.I.
- Fall... Star of chaos! - spoken while performing back grapple on Viola, Edge Master, Algol, Kilik.
- I'm tired of this.
- Admit your defeat.
- How is it?
- Don't move.
- What's going on? - spoken during Guard Burst.
- What the... - spoken when hit by a tremor.
- Time for bed... Now sleep forever. — Spoken during "Critical Edge"
- Dance for me.
- How's this?
- I will not yield.
- Not yet!
- As I thought.
- Stop that!
- It's all... pointless!
- Brace yourself.
- I know.
- That's a problem. - Spoken during Yoshimitu's Critical Edge or Ivy's Sweet Dominance
- You're not... worthy. - spoken when taunting an enemy.
- Curiosity killed the cat. - spoken when taunting Z.W.E.I.
- Now you know the meaning of pain.
- I don't care whether you live or die.
- You possess great strength, but nothing else.
- I am empty, but you are emptier, still.
- Z.W.E.I. Wake up. - Spoken after being victorious against Z.W.E.I.
- I failed to see this! — Spoken during Ring Out.
- Why couldn't I stop you?! — Spoken during Ring Out.
- The moon will swallow the sun and it will never rise again. Spoken after defeating Raphael.
- This girl may be dangerous. - Spoken in story mode to Patroklos.
- Red wine is different from white. Removing the grape skin makes all the difference. - Spoken in story mode to Patroklos.
- That difference becomes obvious in its taste. - Spoken in story mode to Patroklos.
- The sun and the moon cannot rise together. - Spoken in story mode to Patroklos.
- Your wish to remain together is futile. - Spoken in story mode to Patroklos.
- How...fleeting - spoken when k.o.'d by movements like Ivy's Embrace of Guilt.
- It is speculated that Viola's true identity is Amy because of her rather similar facial features, eye color, hair style, and overall costume style (Including the rose motif of her outfit); she also shares the same English and Japanese voice actors with Amy. Viola also seems to share some of Amy's moves, however, in an interview the producers and staff strongly emphasize that Viola will be a "completely" unique character, although whether this refers to the fact that she is actually a separate character from Amy or only to her moveset, which would be considered new and unique in comparison to Amy's original style, has not been clarified.
- Some people speculate that Viola is in fact Amy's twin sister. This remain to be confirmed officially.
- Furthermore, Viola and Amy are shown as separate characters in the relationship charts of New Legends of Project Soul.
- The beads on her forehead and chest as well as the back of her cape make several A's. This could be another connection to Amy. Whether this is coincidental or intentional is unknown.
- Another hint that Viola may be Amy can be found during fights between Raphael and Viola is the opening dialog in which Raphael claims find Viola's presence vexing, and demands to know who she is. (Although it seems strange that Raphael acknowledges Viola as a complete stranger, as one would think that if Viola were Amy, Raphael would be able to recognize her relatively quickly.)
- It has recently been confirmed that Viola's voice actresses (both ENG and JAP) are the same as Amy's, furthering the speculations on her identity.
- Oddly, Viola resembles Dampierre's imaginary daughter when she appears in his Critical Finish.
- She considers Patroklos a "dog", mirroring Graf Dumas' insults toward Patroklos.
- Viola, wearing a hooded cape, and Z.W.E.I. being associated with werewolves might be a reference to The Little Red Riding Hood.
- Viola seems to have a moth-inspired animal theme due to her split cape resembling wings and moth stocking pattern.
- Viola's choker has a red crystal attached to it, similar to that which Raphael has attached to his bat ornament in Soulcalibur IV, though it seems much smaller. This crystal is red only in her 3D model, in the official artwork, it's pink.
- Viola bears heavy similarities to Tekken's Zafina. Not only are some of their moves and their idle stances very much alike, but they also share an ominous attitude and have similar quotes (for example, Zafina's Leave now if you value your life corresponds to Viola's Flee before you destroy yourself). Zafina is also an astrologist, which is very similar to Viola's fortune telling.
- Viola seems to have some similarities to Rose of the Street Fighter series. The two fight with a large magical orb and have magical abilities. Their names are also taken from a type of flower and their costumes resemble fortune teller outfits.
- Viola's fighting style is also reminiscent of Amakusa from the Samurai Showdown/Spirits series, as he also fights with a large magical orb and his willing portraits sometimes emphasize long fingernails, similar to Viola's weapon.
- Viola's powers are similar to the powers of Carrie Fernandez, a protagonist in Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness, who is able to use magical orbs like Viola.
- Viola controls her orb in a similar manner to how League of Legends' champion Orianna wields her Ball. Her Critical Edge even looks and operates similar to Orianna's Ultimate. Furthermore, they share the gothic ballerina theme of their outfits and have similar personalities.
- Viola wears a Claw, similar to that of Freddy Krueger from the Nightmare on Elm Street series, or Lady Deathstrike from the X-Men series.
- It is possible that Viola is an albino or has lost pigmentation due to continued use of magic.
- Viola has many noticeable discrepancies between her artwork and 3D model. Namely, like Natsu, she has lengthy fake nails which don't appear in-game. Her outfit in the 3D model is much brighter, more desaturated and her dress seems to be longer than in the artwork. Lastly, her breasts are much larger in the artwork than in-game, though this can be attributed to the artist's style. She is also suppose to be taller, Viola is 161 cm but her 3d model is shorter than Leixias who is only 149 cm tall. Some people claim they used Amy´s 3d model to create Viola which could explain why both the breast size and the heigh isnt accurate to her original design.
- In the Character Creation a character using Viola's style is equipped only with the orb and isn't wearing Viola's claw gloves on her hands. Similar clawed gloves can be added to a created character (Scissor Claws); however, they do not serve as a weapon and can be worn by characters of all styles. Additionally, when Elysium uses Viola's weapon style, the claws are not present.
- The rose accessories (around her cloak) that Viola wears appear to be smaller on her 3D model than the original concept art.
- Some of Viola's alternate weapons could be related to esoteric stereotypes, such as a skull or an eyeball.
- One of her alternate weapons is the Ignis Fatuus. This weapon is a red Orb made of fire or with fire as the essence inside of it. Coincidentally, Necrid from the past game of Soul Calibur II, also possesses his weapons in the shape of orbs. His weapon is also one that represents a fire that robs the heat of those who get close to it. This one is also named identically to Viola's.
- Viola's tights, bearing the pattern of a moth trapped in a web, coupled with the moth theme displayed throughout her character design, has been said to reference how she may have been "entangled in something difficult"- that she shouldn't be involved in, and hasn't been able to free herself.
- Viola's oddly lyrical birthplace bio entry (a place of roses and lilies) owes its origins to Tennyson's 1855 poem Maud, in which it is said of the titular heroine: "You have but fed on the roses and lain in the lilies of life", suggesting a sheltered, protected upbringing.
- Viola's 2P claw gauntlet has the moon phases depicted on its knuckles.
- Contrary to Tago's mention that she "will play an important role in the story", she only has 3 lines and never appears as a 3D render.
- Viola 1P in Soulcalibur V was designed by Tomoko Imura, and 2P was designed by Takuju Kawano.
- When bitten during Raphael's throw, he will mutter "Strange...?" after finishing. It can be interpreted as a hint towards Viola's identity as Amy yet again. (Note: Raphael will comment "Strange..." with Z.W.E.I. as well. This could be due to the fact Z.W.E.I. and Viola both have magical/mythical properties).
- Her hairstyle strongly resembles that of Abelia's, a bonus character from Soulcalibur III.
- Viola shares her name with another Namco Bandai character, a blonde-haired archer from Eternal Sonata.
- Viola has some moves similar to Darth Vader, mainly ranged vertical attacks and telekinetic throws.
- Viola gives all her thoughts through symbolic riddles, mainly mentioning moon and wine.
- Viola shares a quote with Talim - "Guide me."
- Viola is the only character in SoulCalibur V without a separate form in-game to have 2 battle themes: "Wandering Seer" and "Dance of the Oracle". However, "Dance of the Oracle" is currently only accessible when facing against Viola in Quick Match Mode.
Viola means "Violet" in Latin, a likely reference to her purple clothing. It is also the name of a type of flower and that of a string instrument.
- Implied that she and Amy are one and the same entity.
- Friend and travel companion of Z.W.E.I.
- Member of Schwarzwind.
- Temporarily traveled with Patroklos, whom she appeared to dislike.
|Main characters in the Soul series|
|Aeon Calcos | Algol | Amy | Astaroth (Original, Mass Produced) | Cassandra | Cervantes | Charade | Dampierre | Edge Master | Hilde | Hwang | Ivy | Kilik | Leixia | Li Long | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Natsu | Necrid | Olcadan | Patroklos (α Patroklos) | Pyrrha (Pyrrha Ω) | Raphael | Rock | Seong Han Myeong | Seong Mi-na | Setsuka | Siegfried | Sophitia | Soul Calibur (Elysium) | Soul Edge (Inferno, Nightmare, Night Terror) | Taki | Talim | Tira | Viola | Voldo | Xianghua | Xiba | Yoshimitsu (First, Second) | Yun-seong | Zasalamel (Abyss) | Z.W.E.I.|