|Platform(s)||PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation Network, Xbox Live|
|Released||January 31, 2012 (US)|
February 2, 2012 (Japan)
February 3, 2012 (Europe)
April 23, 2013 (Digital downloads)
ESRB: T (Teen)
|Media||Blu-ray Disc, DVD-DL, Digital download|
Soulcalibur V had been teased about since late 2010 when Daishi Odashima, the game director, tweeted that "SC is back!". The game was officially announced May 11, 2011 at their Level Up Press Conference in Dubai. The character roster consists of 28 characters, half of which could be considered new characters. The game allows the characters to fight in more than 20 stages. Project Soul released the game on January 31, 2012 in the US and February 2nd, 2012 in Japan and Europe.
The development of the story mode was done alongside developer CyberConnect2, the developer that did the .hack series as well as the Naruto: Ultimate Ninja series.
Digital editions of the game were released on April 23, 2013. In Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Australasia, a "Legendary Edition" was also be released, including Dampierre and every downloable costumes and armors from the Cepheus Store.
Siegfried Schtauffen (ジークフリート・シュタウフェン Jīkufurīto Shutaufen) the former protagonist of the series. He once wielded Soul Calibur against Nightmare in an attempt to atone for his sins when he was the host of Soul Edge. It was revealed that he defeated and destroyed the Azure Knight in the end of Soulcalibur IV. After 17 years, Siegfried has reformed the Schwarzwind into a band of mercenaries. He wields a zweihander sword.
Nightmare (ナイトメア, Naitomea) is the main antagonist of the series, the living incarnation of Soul Edge. The original Nightmare used Siegfried as a host, but was eventually destroyed by the knight. Now a new Nightmare has risen.
Isabella "Ivy" Valentine (イザベラ・バレンタイン - アイヴィー, Izabera Barentain - Aivī) returns in the game looking roughly the same as before, since she stopped aging at 32. She wields a snake sword, a device of her own invention.
Maxi (マキシ, Makishi, also written as 真喜志), a sea-faring pirate who uses nunchaku. He carries a shard of Soul Edge within his body, affecting his aging process as his appearance has not changed over the 17 year gap. He is no longer travelling with Xianghua and Kilik, but now with newcomers Natsu, Xiba and Leixia.
Hildegard "Hilde" von Krone (ヒルダ, Hiruda), the princess of the kingdom of Wolfkrone who made her debut in Soulcalibur IV. Her kingdom has fallen and now travels with Siegfried's mercenary band, the Schwarzwind. She has become a mother in the interim between IV and V. She wields a short sword and a spear.
Tira (ティラ, Tira), the loyal servant to Soul Edge, an assassin with dual personalities who fights with a Ring Blade using acrobatic attacks. She appears to not have aged as her official profile mentions "unknown" in her official biography.
Voldo (ヴォルド, Vorudo), a blind and mute man, who serves the merchant Vercci by protecting his beloved Money Pit. Wields matching tri-bladed katars, which he has employed throughout the series since the first installment.
Lord Geo Dampierre (ダンピエール, Danpiēru), a con-artist wielding hidden daggers, returns as a playable character in the game. He was announced as a pre-order-exclusive bonus at selected retailers, and is now available as a DLC character for 400 Microsoft points (Xbox 360) and $4.99 on the Playstation Store (Playstation 3).
Cervantes de Leon (セルバンテス・デ・レオン, Serubantesu de Reon), an immortal sea pirate rejuvenated from his undead state. Uses a broadsword and a gun-sword as weapons.
Aeon Calcos (アイオーン・カルコス, Aiōn Karukosu), a man who was cursed into a reptilian form also known as Lizardman. This time around he has feathery wings and wields dual axes.
Yoshimitsu (吉光) the Second, a roguish character who hides behind a mask like his predecessor did. As is tradition, he killed the previous Yoshimitsu and inherited his title. He wields dual katana and a sashimono in a unique way, as his predecessor did.
Algol (アルゴル Arugoru), the Ancient Hero King. He was forced to destroy his own son, Arcturus, because he was possessed by the demonic sword, Soul Edge, an event which caused him to create the holy sword Soul Calibur from a shard of Soul Edge. He uses miniaturized versions of Soul Calibur and Soul Edge which appear in battle in place of his hands, as well as a cannon that shoots violet and black energy spheres of varying sizes.
Edge Master (エッジマスター Ejjimasutaa), an old man with an mysterious past. He has mastered all the weapons in the world and he rescued and trained Maxi. He fights using the styles of all the other characters in the game.
Kilik (キリク, Kiriku), former student of Edge Master and the possible current Edge Master. He fights using any of the male styles.
Patroklos Alexander (パトロクロス・アレクサンドル, Patorokurosu Arekusandoru) is the main protagonist of Soulcalibur V. He is the son of Soulcalibur character Sophitia and Rothion also the nephew of Cassandra, and wields a holy sword and shield. He sets on a quest to find his lost sister Pyrrha.
Pyrrha Alexandra (ピュラ・アレクサンドル, Pyura Arekusandoru) is the deuteragonist of Soulcalibur V. She is the daughter of Soulcalibur character Sophitia and Rothion, Patroklos' older sister and also Cassandra's niece, and wields her mother's arsenals made by her father: the Omega Sword and Elk Shield.
Viola (ヴィ オラ, Viora), an elegant young woman working with Z.W.E.I. She suffers from amnesia and does not remember her past. She uses a floating magic orb as her weapon. She bears an uncanny resemblance to Amy.
Ezio Auditore da Firenze, the main protagonist of Assassin's Creed II and its side-sequels, appears in Soulcalibur V. He appears as he did in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood as his middle-aged incarnation. He uses five weapons: hidden blades, swords, a crossbow, a dagger, and a hidden gun.
Devil Jin, is a form of the current primary protagonist of the Tekken series, Jin Kazama. He appears as customization parts and a fighting style in Character Creation after the player has reached Level 5. His fighting style has been given to Katsuhiro Harada, the producer of both Soul series and Tekken (mainly as director of the Tekken project), who appears as a challenge in the Quick Battle mode.
Newly introduced or altered game mechanics include:
The game takes place during the 17th century, 17 years after the events of Soulcalibur IV, with Nightmare's death by the hands of Siegfried. The main protagonist is Patroklos and the deuteragonist is Pyrrha, son and daughter of Sophitia and Rothion Alexander and nephew and niece of Cassandra Alexandra.
Although no official storyline for the game has been released so far, Patroklos' storyline says that Pyrrha and Patroklos haven't had an easy childhood as their mother, Sophitia, was killed by a "malfested" and their father died an untimely death from a disease. Pyrrha was abducted at a young age and remembers nothing of her childhood, including her family ties. Her brother Patroklos, on the other hand, was raised by his father and is now searching his older sister. He also searches and destroys the malfested.
- Offline Play:
- Online Play (PlayStation(R)Network/Xbox Live)
- Story ~1607 A.D.~
There are 27 stages, one per character (except Dampierre sharing with Patroklos and Devil Jin sharing with Ezio Auditore), where the player has the choice to play either of the characters' music theme or the stages' background music (Ex: Pyrrha’s theme, Colisseum’s theme…). In addition, some stages are multi-tiered and make a transition to new areas under certain conditions. Multi- tiered stages are marked with *:
- Ancient Citadel: Under Siege (Siegfried)
- Ancient Citadel: Peacetime (Z.W.E.I.)
- Astral Chaos (Ezio Auditore/Devil Jin)
- Astral Chaos: Pathway (α Patroklos)
- Conqueror's Colisseum (Xiba)
- Conqueror's Colisseum: Underground (Mitsurugi)
- Cavern of Light and Darkness (Lizardman)
- Denevér Castle: Assault (Nightmare)
- Denevér Castle: Eye of Chaos (Pyrrha Ω)
- Free Imperial City Center (Patroklos/Dampierre)
- Free Imperial City: Old Quarter (Pyrrha)
- Fu-Ma No Sato: Mechanical Spider (Natsu)
- House of Valentine's Prague Residence (Ivy)
- Last Rites on the Battlefield (Hilde)
- Luoyang: Grand Festival of Guandi Temple (Leixia)
- Mt. Fuji the Holy: Hidden Dragon (Yoshimitsu)
- Penitentiary of Destiny * (Kilik)
- Shrine of the Snake God Palgaea * (Astaroth)
- Sinking Merchant Ship * (Maxi)
- The Adrian (Cervantes)
- Tower of Glory: Most Holy Dichotomy (Algol)
- Tower of Glory: Spiral of Good and Evil (Edge Master)
- Torture Chamber (Voldo)
- Tranquil Wasteland (Tira)
- Unknown Forest (Viola)
- Unknown Forest: Dark Night (Raphael)
- Utopia of the Blessed* (Elysium)
According to an interview from Train2Game, Daishi stated that there will be "tons of pieces" to download, starting from April 3rd, 2012 and new packs being released every four weeks.
- "Bravely Folk Song" (January 31st)
- "Horangi Arirang" (January 31st)
- "Soul and Sword" (January 31st)
- "The Wind and Clouds" (January 31st)
- "World Atlas Collapsed" (January 31st)
- "Chasing Downstream" (January 31st)
- "Duelists" (January 31st)
- "The Cursed Image" (January 31st)
- "Unblessed Soul" (January 31st)
- "Wings of Faith" (January 31st)
- "Brave Sword, Braver Soul" (February 14th)
- "Confrontation" (February 14th)
- "Guided By Wind" (February 14th)
- "Raise Thy Sword" (February 14th)
- "Hubris" (February 14th)
- "Time Marches On" (February 14th)
- "Courage Ablaze" (February 14th)
- "Endless Warfare" (February 14th)
- "Ephemeral Dream" (February 14th)
- "Forsaken Sanctuary" (February 14th)
- "Destiny Will Tell" (February 28th)
- "Halcyon Harbor" (February 28th)
- "Infernal Offering" (February 28th)
- "Phantasmagoria" (February 28th)
- "Thanatos" (February 28th)
- "Afterglow - A Silent Prayer" (February 28th)
- Female Equipment Pack (January 31st)
- Beast Equipment Pack (February 14th)
- Trendy Equipment Pack (February 28th)
- Cepheus Store:
- Classic Headgears Pack 1 (NA²³ & EU²³ April 3rd)
- Soulcalibur V Character Equipment Pack 1 (NA²³ & EU²³ April 3rd)
- Maid Costumes Equipment Pack 1 (NA²³ & EU²³ April 3rd)
- Active Wear Equipment Pack 1 (EU² mistakenly released March 27th, EU³ & NA²³ April 3rd)
- Ancient Armor Equipment Pack 1 (EU² April 18th, EU³ & NA²³ April 24th)
- Modern Costumes Equipment Pack 1 (EU² April 18th, EU³ & NA²³ April 24th)
- Tekken Costumes Equipment Pack (EU² April 18th, EU³ & NA²³ April 24th)
- Extra Equipment 1 (NA & EU May 8th², May 11th³)
- Bulletproof Headgear (NA & EU May 8th², May 11th³)
- Tanegashima Armor (NA & EU May 8th², May 11th³)
- Modern Wear 2 (NA & EU May 8th², May 11th³)
- Hairstyles 1 (NA²³ & EU²³ May 22nd)
- Skeleton Costumes Equipment Pack 1 (NA²³ & EU²³ May 22nd)
- SCV Character Equipment Pack 2 NA²³ & EU²³ (May 22nd)
- Active Wear Equipment Pack 2 (NA²³ & EU²³ May 22nd)
- Valkyrie Armor 1 (NA²³ & EU²³ June 5th)
- Sexy Costumes 1 (NA²³ & EU² June 5th, EU³ June 13th)
- Headgears 2 (NA²³ & EU²³ June 5th)
- Bridal Costumes 1 (June 18th)
- Music Festival 1 (June 18th)
- Classic Outfits 1 (July 9th)
- Sexy Costumes 2 (July 9th)
- Tekken Costumes 2 (July 9th)
- Modern Costumes 3 (July 16th)
- Ancient Armor 2 (July 16th)
- School Uniforms 1 (July 16th)
- Dark Warrior Armor 1 (July 16th)
(² = PSN, ³ = XBL)
- Dampierre (February 28th in America, April 3rd in Europe and Asia)
- Unfortunately, Soulcalibur V is the first game in the series to do away with individual endings in the arcade mode, which means several characters amount to cameos in the single Patroklos-focused story mode, and quite a few make absolutely no appearances at all.
- The official website for Soulcalibur V has been criticized by the community for incomplete information, bad translations and providing differing character descriptions to different language versions of the site. For a long period of time, the only page containing the main characters', Patroklos' and Pyrrha's, profiles was the Japanese website, while on the other websites their profiles did not appear at all. There also appeared a big discrepancy between Xiba's profile in the English website and the other language versions, where it was stated that he is Kilik's and Xianghua's estranged son. This information has been removed shortly after being discovered by the community, however it also appeared on the Japanese website and in the Japanese artbook while not being included in the artbook that was released with the Collector's Edition of the game or in the Soulcalibur V Official Guide.
- Out of all the returning characters, only Mitsurugi, Hilde and Siegfried (and possibly Viola) show signs of physical aging since the previous installment.
- Despite Project Soul's claims that this game is being designed to remove similar fighting styles it is most likely the first game in the series with such little variety in the cast, deploying three sword and shield styles as main styles. Furthermore, there are three mimic type characters included as main characters.
- This is the first game to use the new Project Soul logo.
- This is also the first game to ever show both Soul swords changing form on-screen.
- SoulCalibur V's story mode was originally planned to be four times bigger than it actually is, but time restraints meant it needed to be cut back. That’s according to game director Daishi Odashima who was speaking to Train2Game in an interview.
- SoulCalibur V is the First Game in the soul series that have Multi-Tier stages (such as:Utopia of The Blessed etc.)
|Soul Edge/Blade – Soulcalibur – Soulcalibur II – Soulcalibur III – Soulcalibur III: Arcade Edition – Soulcalibur IV ( Broken Destiny) – Soulcalibur V|
|Soulcalibur (film) – Soulcalibur Legends|