|Soulcalibur: Lost Swords|
|Released||February 6, 2014 (Japan)|
April 22, 2014 (Worldwide)
|Genre(s)||Free-to-play fighting game|
Soulcalibur II HD Online
Soulcalibur: Unbreakable Soul
Soulcalibur: Lost Swords was a PlayStation 3 exclusive free-to-play game. It incorporated a token system. Lost Swords was a single player experience and the focus was on completing missions. Service of the game terminated on November 30, 2015.
Soul Edge, the cursed sword who continually feeds on humanity.
Soul Calibur, the spirit sword fated to destroy the cursed sword's reign of terror.
The destinies of both swords have intertwined for ages long past. And now the stage is set at the end of the 16th century...
In their devastating duel, the swords shatter. It was thought that finally, the curtain had closed in the swords' battle. But, the shards of the cursed sword had escaped to Astral Chaos. There, it travelled across multiple worlds and timelines, hoping to spread its terror once again. The remnants of the spirit sword also followed suit, hoping to vanquish its rival. Imbuing themselves onto different weapons, they fall asleep, waiting for the next battle to arise. And now the stage is set yet again, where the swords await their new beholders...
Siegfried Schtauffen (ジークフリート・シュタウフェン Jīkufurīto Shutaufen) is the former protagonist of the series. He once wielded Soul Calibur against Nightmare in an attempt to atone for his sins when he was the host of Soul Edge. His appearance is a slightly altered Soulcalibur V version with a light-colored armor. He wields a zweihander sword. Entitled "He Who Fights The Past"
Heishiro Mitsurugi (御剣 平四郎, Mitsurugi Heishirō) is a veteran who has been with Soul series since the first game. He wields a katana. His appearance is his slightly modified Soulcalibur V version. Entitled "He Who Lives For Battle"
Sophitia Alexandra (ソフィーティア・アレクサンドル, Sofītia Arekusandoru; Greek: Σοφίτια Αλεξάνδρα) the mother of Patroklos and Pyrrha, wielding a sword and shield. Since her Soulcalibur IV appearance, she has gained some new moves. Her appearance is left unchanged from Soulcalibur IV, yet her outfit was slightly modified. Entitled "The Virtuous Holy Warrior."
Pyrrha Alexandra (ピュラ・アレクサンドル, Pyura Arekusandoru; Greek: Πύρρα Αλεξάνδρα) is the daughter of Sophitia, the niece of Cassandra and sister to Patroklos. She wields her mother's sword and shield in battle. She retains her Soulcalibur V appearance, although with minor changes. Her fighting style was slightly modified to resemble that of Sophitia and Cassandra. Entitled "The Bringer Of Woe."
Nightmare (ナイトメア, Naitomea) is the former antagonist of the series. He wields the Soul Edge in battle. He retains his Soulcalibur V appearance, however he doesn't wear his "Persona of Deceit" mask and his skin color is now more pale than his Soulcalibur V appearance. Entitled "The Symbol Of Destruction."
Astaroth (アスタロス, Asutarosu) is the original golem created by Kunpeatku to obtain Soul Edge. He utilizes a giant axe in the midst of battle. His appearance is of his alternate outfit from Soulcalibur IV, his portrait, however, is based on his Soulcalibur II outfit. Entitled "Harbinger Of Destruction."
Isabella "Ivy" Valentine (イザベラ・バレンタイン - アイヴィー, Izabera Barentain - Aibī) is a veteran of the series. She is the daughter of Cervantes and fights with a snake sword. She retains her Soulcalibur V appearance, however her outfit is the Create-A-Soul version of her costume. Entitled "Cursed By Her Own Blood".
Hildegard "Hilde" von Krone (ヒルダ, Hiruda) is the valiant daughter of the king of Wolfkrone who fights with a short sword and lance. She no longer wears her helmet, as her appearance has been slightly modified. Entitled "Rebuilder Of Her Motherland".
Taki (多喜 or タキ, Taki) is a veteran of the series who fights with two kodachi. She retains her appearance from Soulcalibur IV. Entitled "She Who Seals Off Evil".
Patroklos Alexander (パトロクロス・アレクサンドル, Patorokurosu Arekusandoru; Greek: Πάτροκλος Αλέξανδρος) is the son of Sophitia, the nephew of Cassandra and brother of Pyrrha. He appears as he did in Soulcalibur V. He fights using a sword and shield. Entitled "Successor To The Holy Warrior".
Cervantes de Leon (セルバンテス・デ・レオン, Serubantesu de Reon) is the former antagonist of the series who wields a longsword and pistol sword. Entitled "Great Pirate Resurrected".
Seong Mi-na (ソン・ミナ, Son Mina, Hanja: 成美那, Hangul: 성미나) is the daughter of a great master of Seong Family, she can be unlocked if the players buy 3 premium chests ($30 each). She fights with a naginata. Entitled "Rambling Runaway".
Maxi (マキシ, Makishi, also written as 真喜志) A Wandering pirate who uses a nunchaku. Entitled "A Man Burning With Revenge".
Cassandra Alexandra (カサンドラ・アレクサンドル, Kasandora Arekusandoru; Greek: Κασσάνδρα Αλεξάνδρα) Sophitia's younger sister and maternal aunt of Pyrrha and Patroklos, she uses a sword and shield. Entitled "A Brave Swordsman".
Some characters appeared during the game. None of them were playable, but they can possibly be recreated in Soulcalibur V's Character Creation mode.
Henriksen is a mercenary leader that is involved in the Quests mode. He uses Siegfried's fighting style.
Koneko is a bandit leader that fights the player in some Quests. She uses Taki's fighting style.
Gael is an alchemist who assists the player with information about Soul Edge's shards. He uses Ivy's fighting style.
Urias is a member of a clan of assassins. He uses Raphael's fighting style.
Ludo is also a member of said clan. He uses Astaroth's fighting style.
Gisil is an assassin that is determined on killing the player. She uses Pyrrha's fighting style.
Estes is a man capable of healing malfestation. He uses Siegfried's fighting style.
Golem is a monster created by the Fygul Cestemus. He greatly resembles Astaroth and uses his fighting style.
Elysium is the spirit of the Soul Calibur. It takes Sophitia's shape and uses her fighting style.
Rion is a young swordsman and ally of the player. He uses Raphael's fighting style.
Priscilla is one of the Two Consuls of San Marino. She uses Raphael's fighting style.
Dario Malatesta is a man who wants to conquer San Marino. He uses Patroklos' fighting style.
The Tiger Lily Defender is a female warrior who appears in some events. She uses various fighting styles.
The Drakes are undead creatures that roam battlefields. They use various fighting styles.
Non-playable fighting styles
These fighting styles appeared in Quests mode, but they were never made available:
New game mechanics were introduced in the game. They were as follows:
- Elemental attacks: use elemental properties to your advantage.
- Forge: combine materials to upgrade your equipment.
- Support characters: gather allies from around the world and utilize them to complete quests.
- Events: sporadic events to look forward to.
- AP System: the game was time-limited by an AP system, which depleted every time the player attempted a mission.
Soulcalibur: Lost Swords was poorly received by critics. Eurogamer criticized the game's significant loading times and the changes into gameplay system, including the removal of ring outs and the lack of multiplayer, as well as the gameplay focus on monetization.
According to a Bandai Namco press release on May 8, 2014, Soulcalibur: Lost Swords had surpassed over 1.4 million downloads on the PlayStation Network.
- Unlike previous games in the series, the title was translated into English in all regions.
- Mari Shimazaki was invited to create new costumes, 'Rabbit Football' and 'Miss SC'.
- Aruko Wada was invited to create a exclusive halloween costume 'Mistery'.
- Oddly, during the first TGS trailer, Soulcalibur IV music could be heard. This particular part of the theme contains some notes from the Star Wars theme. Whether it was used on purpose or not is still unknown.
- During the same trailer, while zooming on Soul Calibur, other characters' weapons such as Voldo's katars, Aeon's axes, Xianghua/Leixia's jians could be seen in the background. They were seen as hints that more characters would be added afterwards, though most of them weren't made available.
- Inferno and Zasalamel appeared in the TGS trailer, but they were never added to the game.
- Though according to an interview with Katsuhiro Harada, more characters could have be added as DLC and those characters could possibly have been among the line-up, some of them hinted on this picture.
- This picture also shows Siegfried wielding the Soulcalibur IV version of Soul Calibur.
- Parts used in creation/costumization retained the same role as in Soulcalibur IV, where stats could change from a piece of equipment to another.
- In this game it was impossible to perform a ring out.
- The addition of veteran fighters not available in Soulcalibur V may have been a response to the criticism towards the game for the lack of stalwarts such as Sophitia, Taki, Seong Mi-na and Cassandra.
- According to the character select screen, up to 18 characters were meant to be playable. However, only 17 of those 18 characters were made available.
- One update added arrows ether side of the select screen indicating that more pages of characters would have been added, however with another update these arrows where removed and the game was announced to be shutting down.
- Weapon arts were new attacks your character could perform in battle. At the beginning of every attack you can see the combined animation of Critical Edge and Brave Edge from Soulcalibur V (yellow glow and white sparks on the ground).
- Successfully destroying the opponent's armor (Soul Break) would usually drop treasures for the player to collect and use for their own characters.
- In the game's "Quest Mode," the player could summon a Support Character during the fight. The support character could be set in the Partner Select screen outside of battles. However, a Support Character could only be used during limited period of time, depending on their level. Their HP bar was acting as a timer, diminishing even faster when the character took damage. In addition, they could only be summoned via R2 when the Special bar was full.
- This possibility enabled the player to prolong their combos, which considerably increased the damage taken by the opponent.
- During the beta of the game characters had an 1P outfit but in the release of the full game characters started off only in underwear.
- Nightmare and Elysium were the only main characters that appear in Quest Mode. Nightmare could be unlocked through a challenge, but Elysium was not playable, though she used Sophitia's fighting style.
- It appears that all characters that had similar styles (Sword & Shield, Rapier) shared the same weapons.
- Project Soul have confirmed that the servers for the game would be closed on November 30, 2015. The game cannot be accessed anymore, even offline.
- Soulcalibur: Lost Swords is presumed to be set in the year 1591. As according to the intro, it stated it was in the end of the 16th century and showed images of Siegfried defeating Nightmare.
- This would explain the return of un-aged Soulcalibur IV characters.
- However, this does not explain why Soulcalibur V characters were present in the game with their aged appearances.
|Soul Edge/Blade – Soulcalibur – Soulcalibur II – Soulcalibur III (Arcade Edition) – Soulcalibur IV (Broken Destiny) – Soulcalibur V|
|Soulcalibur (film) – Soulcalibur Legends – Soulcalibur: Lost Swords - Soulcalibur: Unbreakable Soul|