|Platform(s)||PlayStation 3, Xbox 360|
|Released||January 31, 2012 (US)|
February 2, 2012 (Japan)
February 3, 2012 (Europe)
April 23, 2013 (Digital downloads)
ESRB: T (Teen)
|Media||Blu-ray Disc, DVD-DL, Digital download|
Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny
Soulcalibur IV (Chronologically)
Soulcalibur II HD Online
Soulcalibur: Lost Swords
Soulcalibur V had been teased about since late 2010 when Daishi Odashima, the game director, tweeted that "SC is back!". The game was officially announced May 11, 2011 at their Level Up Press Conference in Dubai. The character roster consists of 28 characters, half of which could be considered new characters. The game allows the characters to fight in more than 20 stages. Project Soul released the game on January 31, 2012 in the US and February 2nd, 2012 in Japan and Europe.
The development of the story mode was done alongside developer CyberConnect2, the developer that did the .hack series as well as the Naruto: Ultimate Ninja series.
Digital editions of the game were released on April 23, 2013. In Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Australia, a "Legendary Edition" was also be released, including Dampierre and every downloable costumes and armors from the Cepheus Store.
Siegfried Schtauffen (ジークフリート・シュタウフェン Jīkufurīto Shutaufen) the former protagonist of the series. He once wielded Soul Calibur against Nightmare in an attempt to atone for his sins when he was the host of Soul Edge. It was revealed that he defeated and destroyed the Azure Knight in the end of Soulcalibur IV. After 17 years, Siegfried has reformed the Schwarzwind into a band of mercenaries. He wields a zweihander sword.
Nightmare (ナイトメア, Naitomea) is the main antagonist of the series, the living incarnation of Soul Edge. The original Nightmare used Siegfried as a host, but was eventually destroyed by the knight. Now a new Nightmare has risen who goes under the alias of Graf Dumas .
Isabella "Ivy" Valentine (イザベラ・バレンタイン - アイヴィー, Izabera Barentain - Aivī) returns in the game looking roughly the same as before, since she stopped aging at 32. She wields a snake sword, a device of her own invention.Maxi (マキシ, Makishi, also written as 真喜志), a seafaring pirate who uses nunchaku. He carries a shard of Soul Edge within his body, affecting his aging process as his appearance has not changed over the 17 year gap. He is no longer travelling with Xianghua and Kilik, but now with newcomers Natsu, Xiba and Leixia.
Hildegard "Hilde" von Krone (ヒルダ, Hiruda), the princess of the kingdom of Wolfkrone who made her debut in Soulcalibur IV. Her kingdom has fallen and now travels with Siegfried's mercenary band, the Schwarzwind. She has become a mother in the interim between IV and V. She wields a short sword and a spear.
Tira (ティラ, Tira), the loyal servant to Soul Edge, an assassin with dual personalities who fights with a Ring Blade using acrobatic attacks. She appears to not have aged as her official profile mentions "unknown" in her official biography.
Voldo (ヴォルド, Vorudo), a blind and mute man, who serves the merchant Vercci by protecting his beloved Money Pit. Wields matching tri-bladed katars, which he has employed throughout the series since the first installment.
Lord Geo Dampierre (ダンピエール, Danpiēru), a con-artist wielding hidden daggers, returns as a playable character in the game. He was announced as a pre-order-exclusive bonus at selected retailers, and is now available as a DLC character for 400 Microsoft points (Xbox 360) and $4.99 on the PlayStation Store (PlayStation 3).
Cervantes de Leon (セルバンテス・デ・レオン, Serubantesu de Reon), an immortal sea pirate rejuvenated from his undead state. Uses a broadsword and a gun-sword as weapons.
Aeon Calcos (アイオーン・カルコス, Aiōn Karukosu), a man who was cursed into a reptilian form also known as Lizardman. This time around he has feathery wings and wields dual axes.
Yoshimitsu (吉光) the Second, a roguish character who hides behind a mask like his predecessor did. As is tradition, he killed the previous Yoshimitsu and inherited his title. He wields dual katana and a sashimono in a unique way, as his predecessor did.
Algol (アルゴル Arugoru), the Ancient Hero King. He was forced to destroy his own son, Arcturus, because he was possessed by the demonic sword, Soul Edge, an event which caused him to create the holy sword Soul Calibur from a shard of Soul Edge. He uses miniaturized versions of Soul Calibur and Soul Edge which appear in battle in place of his hands, as well as a cannon that shoots violet and black energy spheres of varying sizes.
Edge Master (エッジマスター Ejjimasutaa), an old man with an mysterious past. He has mastered all the weapons in the world and he rescued and trained Kilik. He fights using the styles of all the other characters in the game.
Kilik (キリク, Kiriku), former student of Edge Master and the possible current Edge Master. He fights using any of the male styles.
Patroklos Alexander (パトロクロス・アレクサンドル, Patorokurosu Arekusandoru) is the main protagonist of Soulcalibur V. He is the son of Soul series veteran Sophitia and Rothion, he is also the nephew of Cassandra. He wields a holy sword and shield in honor of his Mother. He sets on a quest to find his lost sister Pyrrha.
Pyrrha Alexandra (ピュラ・アレクサンドル, Pyura Arekusandoru) is the deuteragonist of Soulcalibur V. She is the daughter of Soul series veteran Sophitia and Rothion, Patroklos' older sister and also Cassandra's niece. She wields her mother's arsenals made by her father: the Omega Sword and Elk Shield.
Viola (ヴィ オラ, Viora), an elegant young woman working with Z.W.E.I. She suffers from amnesia and does not remember her past. She uses a floating magic orb as her weapon. She bears an uncanny resemblance to Amy.
Ezio Auditore da Firenze, the main protagonist of Assassin's Creed II and its side-sequels, appears in Soulcalibur V. He appears as he did in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood as his middle-aged incarnation. He uses five weapons: hidden blades, swords, a crossbow, a dagger, and a hidden gun.
Devil Jin, is a form of the current primary protagonist of the Tekken series, Jin Kazama. He appears as customization parts and a fighting style in Character Creation after the player has reached Level 5. His fighting style has been given to Katsuhiro Harada, the producer of both Soul series and Tekken (mainly as director of the Tekken project), who appears as a challenge in the Quick Battle mode.
Cut characters from Soulcalibur IV
Many of the characters of the main cast from Soulcalibur IV have not returned. The following includes:
Newly introduced or altered game mechanics include:
The game takes place during the 17th century, 17 years after the events of Soulcalibur IV, with Nightmare's death by the hands of Siegfried. The main protagonist is Patroklos and the deuteragonist is Pyrrha, son and daughter of Sophitia and Rothion Alexander and nephew and niece of Cassandra Alexandra.
The plot consists of a 20 chapters storymode.
Seventeen years later, Patroklos Alexander is seen fighting a group of villagers he considers being malfested. Without hesitation, he kills several of them until he is confronted and defeated by a mysterious stranger named Z.W.E.I.. Patroklos returns to Graf Dumas for his report and after he questions his master, he is shunned by him and forced to fight Voldo.
At the same time, Pyrrha is seen kneeling in front of several dead people, crying. She is joined by a satisfied Tira who compliments her on these killings. Forced to fight other villagers, she reluctantly kills them before she is informed by Tira that she has a brother.
Later, after meeting with Siegfried and being granted to wield Soul Calibur, Patroklos, accompanied by Z.W.E.I. and Viola, sets on finding his sister and the malfested who kidnapped her. After fighting Tira twice, Patroklos is finally reunited with his long lost sister. During their travels, in which Pyrrha shows some symptoms of malfestation, they are attacked by Astaroth and later by Voldo. During the battle with Astaroth, Patroklos is injured and Pyrrha is forced to fight Voldo. Later they meet Ivy who tends to Patroklos' wounds.
They arrive in a city where malfested are wreaking havoc. Graf Dumas is revealed to be a reincarnated Nightmare who used Patroklos, tricking him to think he was killing malfested while in fact he killed innocent human beings. Incapacitated due to his wounds, Patroklos is unable to fight his former master and once again, Pyrrha has to step forward and fight. She turns into a malfested and defeats Nightmare. A shocked Patroklos rejects her and runs away, while Tira reunites with Pyrrha, telling her she was right. Pyrrha aknowledges that Tira is the only she can ever trust.
Patroklos returns to Seigfried where he tells Z.W.E.I. of Dumas' real identity. Left alone, Patroklos has a vision of an angelic entity looking exactly like his late mother Sophitia. She tells him that he must revive Soulcalibur in order to cure Pyrrha of her malfestation. Forced to fight Z.W.E.I., Patroklos comes to realized his true destiny.
He sets out on to resurrecting Soul Calibur, seeking the help of Ivy. She informs him that she came accross a man named Kilik who had one of the artifacts necessary for the process, while the other one was detained by a women. Patroklos comes accross three teenagers: Natsu, Leixia and Xiba who travel with Maxi. To prove his worth, Patroklos is forced to face them all.
After resurrecting Soul Calibur, Patroklos faces his malfested sister who was now the heir of Soul Edge had been wreaking havoc all around her. After he kills her and encases her into crystal, the entity, Elysium pretending to be his mother, Sophitia appears in front of him and congratulates him.
While this occurs, Siegfried and Z.W.E.I., along with Schwarzwind, fight the army of the malfested. Z.W.E.I. fights and defeats Nightmare, but he is stabbed in the back by Pyrrha and falls into the abyss, his fate left unknown. Pyrrha seizes Soul Edge for herself and opens a rift to the Astral Chaos.
Meanwhile, Patroklos questons his acts and he is confronted by Edge Master. Patroklos is brought back in the moments where he resurrected Soulcalibur, then confronts his sister again. Refusing to kill her, Patroklos is punished by Elysium who encases him in crystal.
Pyrrha regains her spirits and seeing her brother in crystal. She then took up Soul Egde and was able to overcome its will and she tries to break him free by chipping away the crystal.
In what appears to be another plane of existence of Patroklos' conscience, the entity, named Elysium, reveals herself to be the incarnation of Soul Calibur, tells him that she will use him to destroy the malfested in order to bring peace to the world. Breaking free of his crystal prison and realizing that it was never his mother guiding him, he fights and defeats her, then says goodbye to his mother.
Waking up, Patroklos is once again reunited with his sister. Despite her being malfested, he is ready to accept her the way she is, just like their mother would have, and together, they banish both soul swords in the Astral Chaos and close the rift.
Pyrrha and Patroklos then depart together in the sunset.
- Offline Play:
- Online Play (PlayStation(R)Network/Xbox Live)
- Story ~1607 A.D.~
There are 27 stages, one per character (except Dampierre sharing with Patroklos and Devil Jin sharing with Ezio Auditore), where the player has the choice to play either of the characters' music theme or the stages' background music (Ex: Pyrrha’s theme, Colisseum’s theme…). In addition, some stages are multi-tiered and make a transition to new areas under certain conditions. Multi- tiered stages are marked with *:
- Ancient Citadel: Under Siege (Siegfried)
- Ancient Citadel: Peacetime (Z.W.E.I.)
- Astral Chaos (Ezio Auditore/Devil Jin)
- Astral Chaos: Pathway (α Patroklos)
- Conqueror's Colisseum (Xiba)
- Conqueror's Colisseum: Underground (Mitsurugi)
- Cavern of Light and Darkness (Lizardman)
- Denevér Castle: Assault (Nightmare)
- Denevér Castle: Eye of Chaos (Pyrrha Ω)
- Free Imperial City Center (Patroklos/Dampierre)
- Free Imperial City: Old Quarter (Pyrrha)
- Fu-Ma No Sato: Mechanical Spider (Natsu)
- House of Valentine's Prague Residence (Ivy)
- Last Rites on the Battlefield (Hilde)
- Luoyang: Grand Festival of Guandi Temple (Leixia)
- Mt. Fuji the Holy: Hidden Dragon (Yoshimitsu)
- Penitentiary of Destiny * (Kilik)
- Shrine of the Snake God Palgaea * (Astaroth)
- Sinking Merchant Ship * (Maxi)
- The Adrian (Cervantes)
- Tower of Glory: Most Holy Dichotomy (Algol)
- Tower of Glory: Spiral of Good and Evil (Edge Master)
- Torture Chamber (Voldo)
- Tranquil Wasteland (Tira)
- Unknown Forest (Viola)
- Unknown Forest: Dark Night (Raphael)
- Utopia of the Blessed* (Elysium)
According to an interview from Train2Game, Daishi stated that there will be "tons of pieces" to download, starting from April 3, 2012 and new packs being released every four weeks.
- "Bravely Folk Song": Soul Blade (January 31)
- "Horangi Arirang": Soul Blade (January 31)
- "Soul and Sword": Soul Blade (January 31)
- "The Wind and Clouds": Soul Blade (January 31)
- "World Atlas Collapsed": Soul Blade (January 31)
- "Chasing Downstream": Soulcalibur (January 31)
- "Duelists": Soulcalibur (January 31)
- "The Cursed Image": Soulcalibur (January 31)
- "Unblessed Soul": Soulcalibur (January 31)
- "Wings of Faith": Soulcalibur (January 31)
- "Brave Sword, Braver Soul": Soulcalibur II (February 14)
- "Confrontation": Soulcalibur II (February 14)
- "Guided By Wind": Soulcalibur II (February 14)
- "Raise Thy Sword": Soulcalibur II (February 14)
- "Hubris": Soulcalibur II (February 14)
- "Time Marches On": Soulcalibur III (February 14)
- "Courage Ablaze": Soulcalibur III (February 14)
- "Endless Warfare": Soulcalibur III (February 14)
- "Ephemeral Dream": Soulcalibur III (February 14)
- "Forsaken Sanctuary": Soulcalibur III (February 14)
- "Destiny Will Tell": Soulcalibur IV (February 28)
- "Halcyon Harbor": Soulcalibur IV (February 28)
- "Infernal Offering": Soulcalibur IV (February 28)
- "Phantasmagoria": Soulcalibur IV (February 28)
- "Thanatos": Soulcalibur IV (February 28)
- "Afterglow - A Silent Prayer": Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny (February 28)
- Female Equipment Pack (January 31)
- Beast Equipment Pack (February 14)
- Trendy Equipment Pack (February 28)
- Cepheus Store:
- Classic Headgears Pack 1 (NA²³ & EU²³ April 3)
- Soulcalibur V Character Equipment Pack 1 (NA²³ & EU²³ April 3)
- Maid Costumes Equipment Pack 1 (NA²³ & EU²³ April 3)
- Active Wear Equipment Pack 1 (EU² mistakenly released March 27, EU³ & NA²³ April 3)
- Ancient Armor Equipment Pack 1 (EU² April 18, EU³ & NA²³ April 24th)
- Modern Costumes Equipment Pack 1 (EU² April 18, EU³ & NA²³ April 24th)
- Tekken Costumes Equipment Pack (EU² April 18, EU³ & NA²³ April 24th)
- Extra Equipment 1 (NA & EU May 8², May 11³)
- Bulletproof Headgear (NA & EU May 8², May 11³)
- Tanegashima Armor (NA & EU May 8², May 11³)
- Modern Wear 2 (NA & EU May 8², May 11³)
- Hairstyles 1 (NA²³ & EU²³ May 22)
- Skeleton Costumes Equipment Pack 1 (NA²³ & EU²³ May 22)
- SCV Character Equipment Pack 2 NA²³ & EU²³ (May 22)
- Active Wear Equipment Pack 2 (NA²³ & EU²³ May 22)
- Valkyrie Armor 1 (NA²³ & EU²³ June 5)
- Sexy Costumes 1 (NA²³ & EU² June 5, EU³ June 13)
- Headgears 2 (NA²³ & EU²³ June 5)
- Bridal Costumes 1 (June 18)
- Music Festival 1 (June 18)
- Classic Outfits 1 (July 9)
- Sexy Costumes 2 (July 9)
- Tekken Costumes 2 (July 9)
- Modern Costumes 3 (July 16)
- Ancient Armor 2 (July 16)
- School Uniforms 1 (July 16)
- Dark Warrior Armor 1 (July 16)
(² = PSN, ³ = XBL)
- Dampierre (February 28 in America, April 3 in Europe and Asia)
- Unfortunately, Soulcalibur V is the first game in the series to do away with individual endings in the arcade mode, which means several characters amount to cameos in the single Patroklos-focused story mode, and quite a few make absolutely no appearances at all.
- The official website for Soulcalibur V has been criticized by the community for incomplete information, bad translations and providing differing character descriptions to different language versions of the site. For a long period of time, the only page containing the main characters', Patroklos' and Pyrrha's, profiles was the Japanese website, while on the other websites their profiles did not appear at all. There also appeared a big discrepancy between Xiba's profile in the English website and the other language versions, where it was stated that he is Kilik's and Xianghua's estranged son. This information has been removed shortly after being discovered by the community, however it also appeared on the Japanese website and in the Japanese artbook while not being included in the artbook that was released with the Collector's Edition of the game or in the Soulcalibur V Official Guide.
- Out of all the returning characters, only Mitsurugi, Hilde and Siegfried (and possibly Viola, who is speculated to be an amnesiac, aged Amy) show signs of physical aging since the previous installment.
- Despite Project Soul's claims that this game is being designed to remove similar fighting styles it is most likely the first game in the series with such little variety in the cast, deploying three mimic type characters included as main characters.
- This is the first (and only) game to use the new Project Soul logo.
- This is also the first game to ever show both Soul swords changing form on-screen.
- Soulcalibur V's story mode was originally planned to be four times bigger than it actually is, but time restraints meant it needed to be cut back. That’s according to game director Daishi Odashima who was speaking to Train2Game in an interview.
- Soulcalibur V is the first game in the Soul series that have Multi-Tier stages (such as:Utopia of The Blessed etc.)
- Also the first game to have most of an Infinite stages since it usually appeared in Tekken series.