Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Revenant (レブナント Rebunanto?) is a character in Namco's Soul series of fighting games. He is a generic thug in Soulcalibur III's Tales of Souls mode and an unlockable bonus character as well. He represents the "Wave Sword" Create-a-Fighter discipline.
Revenant grew up in the underworld, striving everyday for survival doing whatever he could. Eventually he turned into an assassin and trained his skills non-stop until he became the most known and feared assassin. He was so well known that nobody would ever think of betrayal, for he killed those who dared to betray or control him. For that, he was always alone.
But eventually he grew old and weak, and those who once feared him dwindled in numbers. Then one day a youth with a scythe and a golden eye fought and killed him. As the young man's scythe ripped into his body, he caught sight of his killer's gold eye and remembered an old man, believed to be a magician, that he had slain many years before. He concluded, somehow, that man and the youth were the same person.
10 years later, that same youth, Zasalamel, revived the bone remains of the assassin and turned him into a faithful Revenant. Revenant works as an enforcer of Zasalamel, even if deep inside he believes that, once Zasalamel achieves his goal, he would be free.
Revenant does not have any stage of his own. He appears in everybody's Tales of Souls story in different stages.
Revenant does appear in Soulcalibur IV, though the only known way to play as him is to play through Zasalamel's Story mode, where he accompanies Zasalamel. Instead of using the Wave Sword discipline from Soulcalibur III, he uses Cervantes' style of dual-sword fighting.
Revenant, however, cannot be created in character creation, since there is no skull or skeleton equipment nor Revenant's voice. In Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny, there is unlockable skeleton equipment to re-create Revenant.
- A playable character in Soulcalibur III, and although a popular character with the fans of the series, Revenant was never available as a playable character other than using Zasalamel in story mode in Soulcalibur IV.
- Revenant appears in Tales of Souls like a normal Standard Character, unlike the other Bonus characters who appears as "Prepare to Defend Yourself" challenges.
- Revenant's entire costume is built using parts from the Create-a-Fighter Mode in all games he appears in, except his skull which can't be accessed. The skull can be accessed in Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny, but he is not present in that game.
- In everybody's Tales of Souls, players who encounter him always mention him as a controlled puppet.
- Revenant's voice clip consists of grunts and sounds, the same used on other characters like Will 'O The Wisp, Charade, Shadow Master, and Keres, among others. These are the same sounds as Inferno, who was not present as a character in Soulcalibur III.
- Revenant's Destined Battle during Quick Play is Zasalamel.
- In Soulcalibur III, Revenant's weapon, the Wave Sword, is available to characters created under the Assassin, Thief, Gladiator, Barbarian and Sword Master classes.
- In Soulcalibur IV his appearance is slightly reminiscent, of "Soul Edge" (the character) who appeared as the final opponent in Soul Blade. The key difference is he does not have a fiery aura ("Soul Edge" is basically Cervantes's dead body, controlled by Inferno).
- In Soulcalibur IV, Revenant doesn't wear a hat.
- In some of Revenant's moves are similar to Bruce Irvin's Fighting moves of the Tekken series.
- Revenant's ghastly visage and use of the color red is presumably a reference (retroactive or otherwise) to the Masque of the Red Death, a short story by Edgar Allan Poe.
- In Soulcalibur V Creation mode, it is possible to recreate Revenant with the Skeleton Costume 1 DLC. However it is hard to find a style for him if you want to emulate the Wave Sword style.
- In French, the word "revenant" means "ghost" or more accurately "someone who comes back".
- Revenant's birthplace may be France. Because of the above statement and his clothing.
|Bonus characters in the Soul series|
|Soulcalibur II||Lizardman • Assassin • Berserker|
|Soulcalibur III||Abelia • Arthur • Aurelia • Revenant • Greed • Miser • Valeria • Hualin • Lynette • Girardot • Luna • Demuth • Chester • Strife|
|Soulcalibur IV||Angol Fear • Scheherazade • Shura • Ashlotte • Kamikirimusi|