- "I could never lose to the likes of you!"
- — Miser
Miser (マイザー Maizā?) is a fictional character in Namco's Soul series of fighting games. She is a special "Prepare to Defend Yourself" challenge on Soulcalibur III Tales of Souls Mode, in which she steals all the player's gained money up until that point if she wins the battle, and also an unlockable Bonus Character. She represents the "Katana & Shuriken" Create-a-Fighter discipline.
Miser's costume consists of a short sleeved green top with a cyan skirt over white ring trousers. She wears black gauntlets with copper bands around them. She wears a brown dagger belt across her chest and another around her waist. She also wears a light blue headband and brown sandals.
A prominent feature of her image is her long black fringe which covers her eyes,.
There was a dark, hidden place that sunlight barely ever touched. That was Miser's favorite place. There in darkness--was that a gold coin giving off a faint glow? But beware! The bloodied blade of Red Crow, her weapon of choice, was shining alongside it.
Miser was part of a band of thieves that traveled the world, but few knew fact. Even fewer knew of the organization, which was shrouded almost completely in mystery. Miser's upbringing, the master who trained her in swordsmanship, the circumstances surrounding her becoming a thief...these are all untold tales, as mysterious as the organization she belongs to. Of course, the name "Miser" was not her real name, and it was unlikely that her real name would ever become known.
Everywhere she goes, she takes gold and lives, the momentary gleam of her weapon in the moonlight being the only sign of her passing.
In Other Characters' Storylines
She is referred to as "Number Five" within her organization and views her colleague Greed as a rival. Her group opposes Yoshimitsu's Manjitou. She is quickly defeated by Mitsurugi prior to the events of Soulcalibur IV when she tries to rob him of his fragment of Soul Edge.
Miser is an arrogant and cocky young woman with an elusive past. She is shown to be confident in her skills and is often disparaging to her opponents before and after battle. Her confidence seems to stem from her talents as a thief and assassin. Her 'favourite' place is the dark which perhaps alludes to her mysterious nature. She seems selfish and greedy, stealing for her own gain. As Miser only appears against male characters and because of her rivalry with Greed, she could be a misandrist or simply antagonistic. Her attack on Mitsurugi also shows her overconfidence along with her naivety as she clearly underestimates her opponents.
- Red Crow & Rusty Wing
- Onimaro & Tobikage
- Tsubanari & Ryusei
- Suigetsutou & Ukifune
- Genma & Kokuen
- Totsuka & Yatsugashira
Miser does not have a stage of her own, though she can be found on Tales of Souls in the following stages as a "Prepare to Defend Yourself" challenge: Sacred Mt. Fuji - Lava Bed, Lotus Garden, Jurakudai Villa, Battle in the Strait, Kunpaetku Shrine Ruin, Ling Sheng-Su Temple Ruin and Underground Buddhist Sanctum.
- You're in my way.
- Out of the way. Hurry up and disappear!
- You wanna die that badly?!
- Stay there and die!
- I could never lose to the likes of you!
- You should have said so if you're so weak!
- You deserved that.
- The name 'Miser' means 'a person who hoards wealth and spends as little money as possible.' This reflects Miser's nature as a thief.
- Miser appears only against male characters.
- Miser's entire costume is made from Create-a-Fighter parts. She has no original parts or features.
- Miser's Destined Battle during Quick Play is Yoshimitsu.
- Some of Miser's moves may be based on those of Spawn from the Xbox version of Soulcalibur II, most notably the ability to hover in the air.
- Miser possesses Kazuya Mishima's Devil Tail Kick from the Tekken series.
- Miser appears in Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny as a created character in Quick Match. She uses Mitsurugi's moveset, and has a blindfold over her eyes.
- Her fighting style (Katana and Shuriken) resembles Mitsurugi's battle technique.
- Despite her discipline being named "Katana and Shuriken", her sword is actually a tachi.
- Miser (against male characters) rarely appears at Water Mill Valley, Proving Grounds and possibly Valentine Mansion as an extra stage during "Prepare to Defend Yourself" Challenge at certain conditions on Tales of Souls from Soulcalibur III.
Soul Calibur lll
Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny
Universal Fighting System
|Bonus characters in the Soul series|
|Soulcalibur II||Lizardman • Assassin • Berserker|
|Soulcalibur III||Abelia • Arthur • Aurelia • Revenant • Greed • Miser • Valeria • Hualin • Lynette • Girardot • Luna • Demuth • Chester • Strife|
|Soulcalibur IV||Angol Fear • Scheherazade • Shura • Ashlotte • Kamikirimusi|