Maxi (マキシ, Makishi, also written as 真喜志) is a character in the Soul series of fighting games. He made his first appearance in Soulcalibur and returned in Soulcalibur II, Soulcalibur III, Soulcalibur IV, Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny, Soulcalibur V, Soulcalibur: Unbreakable Soul, and Soulcalibur: Lost Swords.
- Chained Kozuka
- Modified Flail
- Soul Edge (Complete) Maxi
- Soul Edge (Nunchaku)
- Termite Snack
- The Ancient (Maxi)
- The Master (Maxi)
- Chained Sickles
- Corns on the Cob
Harbour of Souls (SC)
This was the Indian harbor Maxi and his crew visited to trade goods. In India the shore is a sacred place, so a stair terrace allows for travel to the water. The terrace, which is called a 'ghat', leads to the town with its maze of house, temples and narrow pathways. Visitors unfamiliar with the town are notorious for getting lost. For Maxi, this gray sea became a place of destiny where his sworn brother Kyam and shipmates were massacred. Maxi swore revenge on Astaroth as he stared at his ship in the distance sunken by the monster.
(Note: Known as Indian Port on the Arcade)
Pirate's Alcove (SC2)
Few know of the hidden dock inside a naturally formed cave lying in the westerly seas, for nary a soul dare to venture close to the wave-beaten precipice that houses it. This place was once the stronghold of a renowned pirate and his hardy crew. But there is no one here anymore, for the captain murdered all of his subordinates. Ten years have passed since anyone has stepped foot in this cavern, but the place is still lit, and a pirate ship can also be seen. Is this the projection of the memories of the slain pirates? Or, is this the memories of the captain, who has since disappeared?
(Note: Maxi shares this stage with Cervantes)
Indian Port (SC3)
A port town is a place where the pathways of land and sea meet. It is a crossroad where people both meet and part ways. It was here that Maxi and Kilik met four years ago. Maxi, together with Kilik, headed west to avenge his crew, who had been wiped out in a sudden attack by a strange horde monsters. Thus, this place could also be called the starting point on his pathway to revenge. On a cliff overlooking the east sea, a little way out from the city, stands a grave marker made from what appears to be the fragments of a Ryūkyū ship. In front of it, one can find a container of Ryūkyū wine. Will Maxi one day be able to tell his crew, sleeping beneath this unknown grave, that he has successfully avenged them?
Sailor's Rest (SC4)
A stage similar to Cervantes's Soulcalibur III stage except it has a day time setting and no storm.
Sailor's Rest - Twilight (SCBD)
Same as in Soulcalibur IV, except that the setting is sunset.
Sinking Merchant Ship (SC5)
- "Sail Over the Storm"
- "Eternal Struggle"
- "Sail Over the Storm"
- "Halcyon Harbor"
Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny
- "Halcyon Harbor"
- "Let My Soul Burn"
- Because he uses a nunchaku, Maxi can be considered Li Long's successor.
- Maxi's fighting style, use of the nunchaku, and yells are homages to Bruce Lee as with other characters based on him such as Marshal Law and Forest Law from Tekken, Jann Lee from Dead Or Alive, Fei Long from Street Fighter, and Liu Kang from Mortal Kombat. However, Maxi does not dress up like Bruce Lee and he's not Chinese.
- His 2P costumes from Soulcalibur II and Soulcalibur IV both contain pants, tabi and shoes that resemble those of Marshall Law. Also, not only can Marshall Law be created in Soulcalibur IV, but Maxi can be customized over Law, in Tekken 6, too. Also, Marshall's son, Forest Law, can be customized to look like Maxi in Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
- So far, all of Maxi's Destined Battle's have been with Astaroth. He and Ivy are so far the only returning characters of the main cast to have one character remain their Destined Battle throughout the series.
- There has been no official source on whether Namco initially intended for Maxi to actually be dead at the end of Soulcalibur, and not be present in Soulcalibur II.
- His hairstyle is similar to Street Fighter EX character, Vulcano Rosso. His 2P hairstyle and color scheme is similar to that of Street Fighter Alpha chatacter, Charlie Nash.
- Maxi's favorite color is sapphire blue. However, he doesn't own many blue clothes, stating that he doesn't look good in them.
- Interestingly, in every odd numbered game he appears in, his shirt is long-sleeved and short-sleeved and every odd-numbered entry.
- Maxi is known as The Dandy of the South Seas.
- Following Maxi's debut appearance, fans and critics initially described him as "an updated version of what Li Long would have been if he had returned", despite the fact that both characters have different fighting styles.
- Maxi's ending is similar to Li Long's in Soul Edge, in that that they both abruptly die, despite being victorious over their enemies.
- Maxi had a second special Weapon Demonstration where he uses dual nunchaku instead of one, which would later be used by Li Long in Soulcalibur III.
- Maxi's bonus costume resembles Kenshiro, from Fist of the North Star. Coincidentally, both are based on Bruce Lee, use nunchaku and have high-pitched cries in battle, are fighters, even killers.
- The Soul of Maxi discipline is available to created characters of the Monk class.
- In the Spanish manual, Maxi is depicted as a girl.
- In Kilik's fourth stage, after he defeats Tira, he fights Maxi who has become the new host for Soul Edge. He wields the evil sword in the form of a nunchaku. Also, his hair is silver, and his clothes are black.
- Maxi is one of the few characters who actually says the names of their Critical Finishes.
- His theme, "Let My Soul Burn", is very similar to his Soulcalibur and Soulcalibur III theme "Sail Over The Storm".
- Maxi seems to have swapped places with Kilik in terms of their respective storylines. For example, Soulcalibur IV, Kilik saves Maxi, who was struggling to overcome the influence of Soul Edge. In Soulcalibur V, however, Maxi is on a quest to save Kilik from an evil fate. It's also interesting to point out that in previous games (after Soulcalibur), Kilik always had a travel companion whereas Maxi preferred to travel alone. This has also been switched in Soulcalibur V.
- Maxi's appearance has not changed in the seventeen-year gap between Soulcalibur IV and Soulcalibur V. This can also be said about Tekken's Lee Chaolan: when he returned in Tekken 4, his appearance was still the same.
- It is unknown if he knows that Xiba is Kilik's estranged son.
- Soulcalibur (playable from the start)
- Soulcalibur II (playable from the start)
- Soulcalibur III (playable from the start)
- Soulcalibur IV (playable from the start)
- Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny (playable from the start)
- Soulcalibur V (playable from the start)
- Soulcalibur: Lost Swords
- Soulcalibur VI
Appearances in Other Media
Maxi appears as a card in Outcast Odyssey. He is a Limited time card, available until 7 September, 2015. He is a Level 4 rarity card.